Chapter Thirty-Seven

"That's what I'm saying!" Sam tells me, laughing so hard I'm surprised the soda he just took a sip of doesn't come gushing out of his nose.

"Whatever," I hold back a laugh, rolling my eyes. "I have to get home."

"I'll walk you," Sam says, practically jumping out of his seat.

"No!" I hiss. "If you walk me home he'll know something's up, I'm supposed to be grounded - remember?"

I grab Violet's leash from under my chair, thanking God that she didn't go off running in the past twenty minutes. That would've ended badly.

"It's not even like you're grounded though," Sam complains.

"It will be if my dad sees me with you," I retort, giving him a quick hug before racing out of the pizzeria.

It takes about fifteen minutes to get back home and by the time I make it through the front door it's already three in the afternoon, meaning I've been walking Violet for almost an hour and a half.

I try to be as quiet as I can putting her leash back on the door handle but she barks against my orders.

"Shit, Vi," I whisper, giving her a little shove.

"Marley, is that you?" Dad calls out from the kitchen.

I cringe, glaring at Violet. It almost looks like she's smiling at me.

"Yeah!" I call back, taking off her leash and letting her roam around.

"Where have you been?" He questions, walking into the living room.

"Walking Violet," I tell him, brushing the hair out of my face.

"For almost two hours?"

"We went to the park," I lie, silently cursing myself. I really need to stop doing that.

"So you weren't with Jack?"

No, I was with Sam.

"No, I swear."

"Mar, I'm just trying to be responsible here, please don't make it hard on me," He pleads. My heart sinks a little.

"I promise I'm not," I say with a hint of guilt in my voice.

"Okay...love you, kiddo."

"Love you too, Dad," I smile at him before racing up the stairs to my room.

Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I fall into my bed and look at my messages. I have one from Mallory, two from Sam, and one from Gilinsky.

I decide to read the one from Mallory first

Hey heard you got grounded, that sucks, maybe next time you won't let that bonehead of yours talk you into doing stupid shit with him. I guess we can make plans for next week?

I laugh at her message. As if I'd ever try to do anything like that ever again. Sure I've changed since I've got here, but not enough to make the same mistake twice.

Rolling over onto my stomach, I click on Sammy's message. It's a selfie of him and Johnson with a message saying that he misses the four of us being together. The four of us being me, Gilinsky, him, and Johnson. I secretly agree with him but reply with a text saying that I've never felt better.

Purposely ignoring Gilinsky's message so he doesn't check his phone, I put my phone away and decide to take a nap. That's one great thing about being grounded, the amount of napping that goes on.

______________________________________________________________________________
hello again! sorry that I'm slacking on the updates and when I do update they're all short it's just school has me stressed and shit and I've got so much homework to do plus my sports. So this was sort of a filler chapter so nothing exciting really lol but next chapter Marley won't be grounded anymore and the story will start to pick up again! also sorry for any typos and stuff I typed this on my iPod haha so thanks for readying and chapter thirty-eight will be up soon! if U wanna vote don't forget to do so and if U have anything U wanna say feel free to comment! much love - gilinskyshigh