Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Sam?" I keep my voice low as I step through the front door. It was unlocked, which worries me because Sammy isn't the type of person to forget to lock his front door. Actually, maybe he is, but it still worried me. "Sammy?" I repeat. The house is completely dark. I'm not really concerned about that since it is 11:00pm.

    "Hm?" I hear a low mumble. Surprised, I focus my gaze at the opening of the kitchen, where Sam stands shirtless. His head leans against the wall and his eyes are closed. A half empty bottle of water is tight in his grasp and I'm not sure what to make of the situation.

    "Hey..." I greet, "It's Marley." I say, in case he's too out of it to see that I'm not some random stranger who just walked into his home. 

    "I know." He tells me. I watch him smile. He pushes himself off the wall and starts kicking his legs around like a little kids do when they're bored.

    "Um...is everything okay here?" I ask cautiously. He's either high or just really, really tired. 

    "Here?" He points to himself, his eyes still closed, "Everything's wonderful." He takes a deep breath and his water bottle falls from his hand. I'm not sure if 'wonderful' is the right way to describe what's going on at the moment.

    I walk closer to him to pick his water up from the floor since he obviously didn't even realize he dropped it, and that's when I see her. There's another person in his kitchen, staring into the open fridge. It's a girl. Maybe the girl he was talking about when he texted me. 

    "Um, hello?" I half whisper, not wanting to frighten her. She slowly turns away from the fridge and eyes me, like she's trying to figure out who I am, "My name is, Marley - Sam's friend." I introduce myself. Her face instantly lights up. 

    "Emily!" She closes the fridge with a gallon of milk in hand and flips the light switch up, causing Sammy to groan, "Sammy's sister." I'm a little taken back by this information but I try to act as nonchalant as possible. I already knew he has a sister, I just didn't expect her to be the girl he was talking about being with tonight. My mind was sort of gearing towards a hookup type thing.

    "It's great to meet you." I give her a friendly smile.

    "Likewise!" Emily walks over to the countertop and slides herself on a stool, "Take a seat." I do as I'm told and I sit across from her. She pushes me a glass of milk, which I gladly accept. 

    "Is he okay?" I question, pointing back at Sammy. He's now staring intently at the now closed fridge with his mouth slightly open. He seems really off and I'm not sure what it is.

    "Oh, yeah, he just had his medicine so he's a little drowsy." She admits. 

    "Medicine?" I inquire.

    "It's to help him sleep at night, he has insomnia." Emily tells me, "He took it like ten minutes before you came and I've been trying to get him up to bed so he can fall asleep there, but he refuses to listen to me." 

    "He's never mentioned anything about having trouble sleeping." I say.

    "He doesn't really talk about it I guess." Emily replies, "Anyway, is there something you needed?" 

    "Not really, I, well I was just going to come over to see how he was doing is all," A blush creeps onto my cheeks. I feel a little foolish for assuming that Sammy was upset about something, and that he skipped dinner with me and everyone else just for a hookup. He was probably just really tired and wanted to get home to relax. 

    "Why, did something happen?" Emily seems intrigued now. 

    "No," I laugh it off and try to assure her that everything is fine, "Nothing happened I was being paranoid." 

    "Oh, okay."

    "I better get going, I have to make a quick stop at Gilinsky's place before I head back home," I say, "It's already close to midnight." 

    "You guys are dating, right?" Emily looks like she's doing some sort of math equation in her head.

    "Sure." I say, not sure what else I'm supposed to tell her.

    She gives me a funny look but instead of asking anymore questions she says goodbye and let's me leave. I give Sam a quick kiss on the cheek and tell him goodnight before racing out of the house. I feel so awkward, like I don't belong there.

    I ignore the anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach and force myself back into Mallory's car. When I told her I was going to Sam's, she insisted on driving me because she didn't want me to walk here all alone while it was this dark out. Considering I don't drive, it was a really nice thing for her to offer.

    "Everything go alright?" She asks, starting the engine. All I do is nod my head and she takes that as her cue to start driving to Gilinsky's. I guess I could say that everything went alright. Considering I didn't walk in on Sammy banging some random girl on the couch, I'd say everything went just according to plan.

    Now I just hope I can say the same after I leave Jack's. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

I KNOW I SERIOUSLY SUCK! i've been totally slacking on updates but I've seriously just been so busy with school and track and managing family time and stuff like that but here is a quick chapter for you guys, thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed and chapter thirty will be up soon! Don't forget to vote if you'd like to do so and if you have any suggestions or comments feel free to leave them in the comments! much love - gilinskyshigh