Chapter Forty-Nine

"I really hope my mom isn't home yet," I whisper, walking up to the front door of the apartment building. It wasn't like the other apartments in New York, there wasn't a lot of floors so it wouldn't take as long to get up to the top floor as it would if there was say fifty stories.

"Probably not, it is late but ever since you left for Omaha she's usually over at Dylan's place like every second of every day," Kimber tells me. I stop in my tracks.

"Wait what?" I ask, confused.

She cringes for a second then sighs. "Shit."

"Dylan Chambers?"

Kimber nods, looking guilty as hell.

"Why would she be at Dylan Chamber's house?"

Kimber stares at me for a really long time before I finally get what she's saying. Dylan's dad is divorced. My mom is divorced. My mom has been spending all her time at Dylan's house. She's hooking up with him.

I don't know why that hurts, but it does. Before I can say anything else or cry or scream or yell I hear Kimber gasp from besides me. I hold back my tears and turn to her, letting go of the doorknob. "What?"

"You said Jack has brown hair right? And so does Sammy...Jack has a jeep?" Kimber asks, cautiously.

"Yeah," I mumble, not wanting to think about Sammy and Jack. I'm already in a bad mood. "Why?"

She looks at me with a grimace on her face. "I've either been giving you really bad news in the last five minutes of us talking or really good news if I tell you what I'm about to tell you."

"Kimber what does that even mean?"

"They're here, right behind you." Kimber rushes.

"Huh?"

"Jack and Sammy...they're behind you."

"No they're not," I say, my eyes widening. I feel my palms dampen and my heart speed up. "No they're not," I repeat.

"Marley...just turn around." Kimber frowns. So I do. I turn around and I almost faint when I see she's right. Sammy is standing in front of Jack's parked jeep, an unreadable look on his face. And Jack's seated in the passenger seat of the Jeep, looking more nervous than I've ever seen him. He's not looking at me, so I can't see his eyes, but I already know what they look like, I can already see them. I whimper.

"Bad news," I whisper, trying to take a deep breath. "Bad news." Kimber nods, taking my hand, leading me into the apartment building. Why the hell are they here? What's going on? I'm going to puke.

Sammy's POV

"They uh...they went inside," I say, clearing my throat. Jack looks up. We make eye contact but I quickly look away.

"Did they see us?" Jack asks.

I shrug, not wanting to lie but not wanting to tell him the truth.

"What'd her face look like?"

I take a deep breath and sigh, getting back in the car.

"Tell me the truth." Jacks pleads.

"She looked like she was about to puke and cry and scream all at the same time." I admit. "Her friend looked upset."

Jack curses under his breath. "Do you think she told her about me?"

I nod. "I'm sorry buddy but I don't think you're going to have a very good impression on any of Marley's friends here." He sighs and sinks lower in his seat.

"We should just go," He grumbles, playing with the bottom of his tshirt.

I shake my head. "No way, G, we came here so you could fix things with Marley, and I'm not gonna lie also because I wanted to see her again because I've never been as close with a girl as I've been with her - so let's go."

"You've gotta be kidding me." Jack looks angry but I don't let that change my mind.

"I'm not kidding, I know you still like her and I know you miss her like hell and I know if I let you ignore your feelings and we leave that you'll never forgive me."

"I hate you sometimes."

I smile. "Let's go." And with that we get out of the jeep and make our way to her apartment building. This is it. Tonight, at five in the morning we're either going to break things with Marley, or fix them. I'm praying for the later of the two.

_________________________________________________________________________

I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW IM DRAGGING THIS ON FOREVER AND I HAVENT UPDATED IN LITERALLY A MONTH and I'm very sorry. but next chapter is the last chapter so it's almost over! Also I am now in summer so get hype!!! Thanks for being so patient I seriously love you guys. Chapter fifty will be up (sort of maybe hopefully) soon. Hope you guys enjoyed, much love, gilinskyshigh