Chapter Forty-Five

"I went to a couple parties in Omaha," I admit, following Kimber as we made our way down someone's driveway.

"I figured," Kimber laughs, stepping up towards the front door, pushing it open without another thought. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it wasn't locked. I could hear the music pulsing before we even got close to the house. "You're in for a treat."

"What exactly does that mean?" I question, following her past groups of kids who were spilling their drinks all over the place. It's a typical party with typical kids but for some reason it excites me. The only other parties that I've been to were Nate's and maybe one other guy's. It's nice to be in a new environment.

"My friend Matt is throwing this party...which means lots and lots of beer." Kimber's eyes twinkle as she speaks. I didn't peg her as the sort of drinking-a-lot-of-beer-at-parties type but she did seem pretty badass and did remind me of Sammy so what was I expecting? She probably smokes too.

"Any weed?" I ask. Kimber stops walking for a quick second and gives me a bewildered look, but then shakes her and and acts as if she wasn't surprised to hear me ask that.

"Sadly, no." She sighs. "You wanna try to find some?"

"No," I tell her. "Unless you want to." I'm secretly hoping she doesn't want to. My first beer was hard enough, I'm not sure I'd want my first time getting high to be at one of my first parties in New York.

Kimber studies me as we continue to walk though the house, I'm guessing we're heading towards the kitchen. "Nah, beer is just fine for tonight." I nod in agreement. I silently pray that this party won't be as hard as my first one was back in Omaha.

_____________

Sammy's POV

"Are we seriously doing this?" Gilinsky asks from the passenger side of my car. We're only a couple hours in on our drive to New York and it's still hasn't hit him that we're going to see his ex-girlfriend that he obviously still has feelings for.

"Yes, J, for the forty-millionth time, we are doing this."

"This is a bad idea," He says, shaking his head. He plays with his seatbelt. "I didn't even agree to come, you forced me! This is kidnapping."

"No," I tell him. "This is helping out a good friend."

"We're not friends anymore then."

I laugh. "Whatever you say."

"She hates me."

"She doesn't hate you." I shake my head.

"She hates me." He repeats.

I shrug and purse my lips. "Possibly."

Jack glares at me. "Fuck you, bro."

"Relax." I chuckle. "I'm kidding." Sort of.

"Why are we driving we could've just taken a fuckin' plane." Jack complains.

"That would ruin the whole point." I remind him.

"What the fuck is the point?"

"Stop fucking cursing you fucking idiot."

"Exactly, there is no point." Jack sighs. He leans his head against the window and closes his eyes. Finally, some peace and quiet.

I continue to drive forward as I contemplate Jack's question. What was the point in driving all the way from Omaha to New York? It's like a twelve hour drive. I'm spending a shit load of money on gas because the day Jack gives me gas money for this trip will be the day hell freezes over.

Then I think, this is for Jack. The point of driving to New York and not taking the easy way out if for Jack to realize how much Marley really means to him and it also gives him a chance to think about what he's gonna say. The point is to show her that he cares and that Leigh is just a bump in the road that flattened the tire but now we're getting a new tire that is resistant to bump in the roads.

Thinking like this keeps my mind from wandering to other things like why I'm the one who thought of this idea. Yeah, like I said, for Jack. But a small part of me knows that it's just more than that. If it wasn't I probably would've invited Johnson and Mallory on this trip. Hell, even her dad! But I was going to want some alone time with Marley myself. I miss her. It's gonna take a lot of pushing and shoving to get Jack to suck it up and see her, but when I get to New York I'm probably just wanna go straight from my car to her apartment to go see her. So yeah, I was doing this for Jack, but I was also doing this for myself. I needed to see Marley and not just because she is a friend, because to me she is more than that. So maybe it's selfish of me to bring Jack and push him at her but I know he does like her and I know she likes him and from what we talked about at the lake before she left she doesn't need a guy like me that she may have thought and that I would want her to have thought. She needs Jack, and that's what I'm going to give her.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

YOOOO, did you guys miss me? Lol I'm really sorry for taking forever to update its just that school has me all fricked up and shit but I'm tryna get my stuff together so forgive me this short chapter that most likely has a bunch of typos bc I'm typing this on my iPod, hopefully next chapter will be up soon and it will be longer! Thanks for being patient and stuff haha much love, gilinskyshigh