Chapter Forty-Seven

"Cameron called, he said he wants you home." Matt slurs, latching onto Kimber's arm. I try to focus my eyes to see his face, but all I see is his blurry figure.

"Cameron?" I question, playing with Kimber's hair.

"He's no one." She growls, pushing Matt off of her. "If you expect to get any from me tonight go away and stop talking to me about Cameron."

Matt pouts. "But, Kimber -"

"No buts!" Kimber shouts, covering her ears. "Now shoo!"

Matt does his best impression of rolling his eyes but he just looks like he's about to keel over and die. "Fine." He turns around and walks away.

"Cameron?" I repeat, not fully understanding the conversation. I'm not too drunk, just a little tipsy. It's been about four hours since Kimber and I got here and we've only had threeish beers. We took a dip in the pool then played some Xbox with two guys named Hunter and Paul. Then we ended up where we are now, on Matt's living room couch, drinking.

"I told you he's no one." Kimber's eyes are angry, but her face looks sad. I can't tell if I should push around for more information or not but before I can even make a decision Matt comes barging back in the house, yelling.

"Cameron says he wants you home!"

"Get lost, Espinosa!" Kimber yells back.

"He says he's gonna rip my balls off because I let you get drunk and if I don't get you home he's going to rip my dick off too!" Matt whines. I start to laugh. Kimber does too. "It's not funny!"

"Cameron's my step brother, Dad got a girlfriend while you were off in Omaha, things are pretty serious," Kimber tells me.

I furrow my eyebrows. "Why does your step brother want you home? Your dad never even cared what time you came home as long as you did by the next day, it's only like ten."

Kimber shakes her head. "Cam's an asshole," She admits. "He told my dad I had a drinking problem, which I don't, and told him I smoked weed. His mom totally thinks that I'm a disgusting piece of shit and now Dad thinks so too." Taking a deep breath, she throws her almost empty beer can at Matt and bites her pointer finger before telling him to tell Cam to fuck off and leave her alone.

"I'm sure your dad loves you, Kim," I say, watching Matt storm back out of the house.

"He would if it wasn't for his stupid little girlfriend and her stupid little son," She says.

I play with the top of my beer can and look down at the ground. I can't help but think about what Mom and Dad would think about me right now if they saw me drinking like this. Mom would probably kick me out or do the opposite, never let me leave. Dad would never forgive me, he'd most likely label me as a lost cause and never take me under his wing again. I lean over and put my drink on the coffee table and close my eyes.

"I know exactly what you're thinking." Kimber whispers. "I've been there, done that."

I shrug.

______________________________

Sammy's POV

"Jack, wake up." I whisper, pulling into a gas station. "Jack!" He instantly sits up wide eyed and looks around feverishly.

"Are we here?" He asks.

"No," I tell him. "We're at a gas station."

"How much longer?" He asks.

"Sixish hours." This time I don't even bother lying.

He gives me a dirty look and closes his eyes again.

"Do you have to go to the bathroom?" I question, shaking him awake again.

"Shut up, I'm sleeping."

"Fine, but we aren't stopping again until we get to New York," I warn him, getting out of the car.

"Shut up." He repeats. I roll my eyes and slam the drivers door shut, walking over to gas up the car.

I remind myself why I'm doing this. I remind myself it's for Marley. It's for Jack. It's for me. I'm being selfish and selfless at the same time. I remind myself that this was a good choice. I just hope I'll be thinking the same thing in the next six hours.

________________________________

I'm sorry I haven't updated in the last like three weeks but regents are coming up and I've literally had homework coming out of my ears. this chapter would've been longer if I didn't have more homework to get to but I couldn't just leave you guys another weekend without an update to here you go! Chapter forty-eight will be up soon and by soon I mean hopefully by next weekend. Much love, gilinskyshigh