Chapter Ten

"Are you punishing yourself for being rude to Nate yesterday?" A loud vibration booms over me. I flinch and groggily open my eyes to see Sammy standing above me. I draw my eyebrows together, cocking my head to the side. 

    "What?" My voice is raspy. 

    "Well you're sleeping in a desk chair instead of your bed, so I just naturually assumed you were punishing yourself..." Sammy repeats. 

    I sit up straight and take in my surroundings, suddenly remembering where I am. My back hurts and my left foot has fallen asleep. I crack my neck before standing up out of the chair. "Where's Violet?" I murmur when I see that she's no longer on my bed. 

    "She's downstairs with everyone else." 

    "Everyone else?" The annoyance is obvious in my voice and it makes Sam laugh. 

    "Gilinsky, Johnson, and you're dad." He tells me. 

    "Do you guys ever stay at your own houses?" I complain.

    "Sometimes." Sammy admits. He leans against my closet and pouts his lips at me. 

    "Well what do you want?" 

    "We're going to a movie, are you in?" Sammy asks.

    "What movie?" I play with the idea in my head. "And who is we?" 

    "Some scary movie about a doll," Sam says. "We is you, me, Gilinsky, and Johnson." 

    I roll my lips together and contemplate whether I want to go or not. "So no Leigh? No Nate?" 

    Sammy tries hard not to roll his eyes when he says, "No Leigh, and no Nate." 

    "What time is the movie?" 

    "God damn, woman! Stop asking so many questions and just come with us." Sam pleads.

    "Fine." I laugh, "Just move out of the way so I can get some clothes out."

    Sam pushes himself away from my closet so I can take out a white t-shirt that has 'Lincoln CYO' embroidered on the front in black letters , and black shorts. I know he's watching me pick out what I'm wearing, so I try to secretively pull out my bra and underwear from the closet by stuffing them under the clothes I hold in my arms. 

    When I turn around Sammy has the biggest smirk on his face but I don't acknowledge it. "I'm going to the bathroom downstairs to go get ready, I'll be fifteen minutes." 

    "Fifteen minutes in girl talk is half an hour." Sam scoffs. 

    "Not for me." I bicker. 

    He follows me down the stairs and we part ways when I head to the bathroom. The door is locked so I knock on it a few times and hear Gilinsky's muffled voice, "Gimme a minute!" My heart stops. I hold my breath for a few seconds then let it go. 

    The door flies open a minute later and Jack steps out wearing a bright smile. "Sorry, I had to pee." 

    "Uh - no problem." 

    "Don't worry, I washed my hands and made sure I put down the toilet seat." He teases. 

    "You're growing up so fast." I tease back. I'm just as surprised as he is at the fact that I participated in his small talk. "Um, I'm gonna get ready now." 

    He nods his head and moves out of the way so I can step into the bathroom. Closing the door behind me, I let out a sigh and start to get ready for the day. 

_________________________

    "Large or small?" 

    We're waiting on the line to get our popcorn and drinks and that's about the fifth time Sam asks me the same question. I'm still trying to decide. 

    "Small." I finally respond. 

    "Small what?" 

    "Small popcorn." I tell him, trying not to get annoyed. If anything he should be the one annoyed with me. 

    "Are you getting anything to drink?" Gilinsky asks. 

    Whenever he talks to me I feel faint. I wish I could be just as comfortable with him as I am with Sammy and Johnson. "Um, yeah I'll just get a water." 

    "That's cool." Johnson says, pulling out his wallet. 

    "I can pay." I say quickly feeling around my back pocket. 

    "No, the movie is on me today." He assures me. 

    "Are you sure?" I feel weird having him pay for me. 

    "Positive." He gives me a knowing smile.

    When it's finally our turn to get our snacks, we end up with two large popcorns, one small popcorn, three large cokes, and one water. Johnson and Gilinsky said they were gonna share a bag and Sammy had insisted he get one just for himself.

    "You're paying for the next movie we go to." Johnson says after handing the cashier his money. 

    "Yeah, yeah, yeah." Sammy licks his lips as he picks up his bag of popcorn and gets to eating it right away. I steal mine from the counter and follow the boys to whatever theater the scary movie is in and start to feel a little anxious. 

    I've never actually seen a scary movie before and I have no idea what to expect. "Hey, Mar," Sammy turns his head towards me as he shoves a handful of popcorn down his windpipe, "Sit next to me, okay?"

    I feel a blush creeping up into my cheeks. "Sure." I tell him politely. He flashes me a grin then turns back to Gilinsky and starts talking to him about last night.

    I try to ignore everything he says about whatever girl he hooked up with, especially when the conversation takes a turn towards Gilinsky and Leigh. How long does it take to get to the movie room we're supposed to be in? A frown places itself upon my face.

    "You good?" I hear Johnson and realize that he fell back with me while Gilinsky and Sammy stayed few feet ahead. I guess I walk too slow for them.

    "I'm good." I lie. I'm not good. I hate being out in public sometimes. I'd rather just be home hanging out with Dad and Violet, but something always makes me come out to be with these guys. 

    "Sammy's gotta learn to put a filter on when girls are around." Johnson apologizes. I blush at the fact that he knew why I was upset. "It's not just you, Mallory hates it when he talks like that." 

    "Are you and Mallory a thing?" I utter without thinking. But Johnson doesn't seem to mind. The corners of his lips turn up into a big smile. 

    "Yeah." He tells me. He's beaming now. 

    My heart melts. I want somebody to smile like that when they think of us being together. 

    "Yo! Jack, Marley, let's go!" Sammy calls over, causing popcorn to spill out of his mouth. He's already eaten half of his bag.

    "You ready to spend an hour and half next to that guy?" Johnson jokes. I laugh and shake my head. 

    "Not even close." 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys!! I hope you enjoy this chapter! chapter eleven will be up soon, I hope it's not as boring as the first chapters were. if it is, don't be afraid to give me any advice or suggestions on making it better! much love- gilinskyshigh