Chapter Thirty-Nine

"I just feel like he always does this," I say, turning over in my bed so I'm face to face with Sam. He's sitting on the floor, twirling his phone around his fingers. 

He shrugs. "It's most likely nothing." 

I groan loudly and throw my hands up over my head. That's what everyone has been telling me. It's nothing. It has to be something. Ever since Gilinsky and I started dating he always has these really sweet moments but then he snaps and gets all secretive. I don't get it. I mean, I've never had a serious boyfriend like this before so I wouldn't know if this was a normal boyfriend thing to do. 

"I haven't talked to him since yesterday," I admit. "Shouldn't we be hanging out now since we're both ungrounded?" 

"Marley, I don't know, okay? I mean, he's probably busy." Something in Sammy's voice tells me to just let it go and stop talking about my relationship problems with Jack to him. I'm sure Mallory wouldn't mind helping me out with it later. 

"Have you heard from Johnson at all?" I ask, changing the subject. It's been a while since I've hung out with him but he hasn't been answering his phone. I can't help but think that I've done something wrong. The only people I've really even conversed with this week for more than five minutes are Mallory and Sammy. 

"Yeah, we talked last night," Sam tells me. "He was at some party thing with his mom."

I raise my eyebrows. "Party thing with his mom?"

"It was like a family thing."

"Wait," I start, thinking things over. "So was he not home yesterday?" 

"No, why?"

I instantly feel the color drain from my face. "Jack lied to me." 

"What, did he say he was home or something?"

"No, I mean Gilinsky...he lied to me." 

Sammy's eyes go blank. "What?"

"We were talking yesterday and I asked him how he spent his time while he was grounded and he got really weird and said he was going to see Johnson," I say, furrowing my eyebrows. 

"Well maybe he thought that J was home at the time," Sam suggests, standing up off the floor. 

I shake my head at him. "Sammy, what's going on?"

"Nothing's going on, Marley, what are you talking about?" I watch as a trickle of sweat drops down Sammy's forehead and I have the sudden urge so punch him.

"Why is everyone lying to me!?" I shout, jumping off my bed. "What are you hiding?"

Sammy takes a deep breath and grabs my wrist as I try to push him. "I'm not the one hiding anything." 

"What's that supposed to mean?" 

"Marley..." Sammy bites his lip and looks down, a guilt expression clouding his face. 

"Spit it out, dammit!" I yell. I hear Violet barking from downstairs but I tune the nose out, while listening closely to what Sammy starts to say. 

"I really don't think it's my place to tell you." Sammy runs his fingers through his hair and lets go of my wrist, backing out of my room. "He's going to kill me."

"Who's going to kill you, Sammy? For what?" I'm desperate now. "I need to know what's going on, it's my right to know." 

"Just follow me, okay?" Sammy turns around and drags himself out of my room. I nod my head and follow him, stepping down the stairs. I see Violet out of the corner of my eye, she thinks we're going for a walk.

"I'll be right back, baby," I tell her, petting her soft fur before I follow Sammy out the front door. 

"I don't know about that." I hear him mutter. What am I getting myself into?

________________________________

"Why are we at his house?" I ask, stepping out of Sammy's car. We were parked outside Gilinsky's house and I was slightly confused. 

"Because he's here." Sam deadpans. He seems on edge, which is making me on edge.

"Uh, okay."

"Let's just get this over with," He sighs, walking up to the front door. I clear my throat and continue to follow him. What the hell is happening? I feel like I'm at a funeral. Sammy doesn't even bother knocking on the door, he just turns the knob and pushes it open. Now I'm surprised. Why did he have his door unlocked? 

"His mom and dad are out shopping, Molly and Laura are probably out at a friends," Sam informs as we make our way into Gilinsky's livingroom. 

"How do you know? Why does this matter?" I ask, knowing that Sam wasn't going to give me any answers. 

"I'll be down here," he tells me. "Go up to Jack's room." 

My heart feels like it's beating a mile a minute. "Alone?" 

"Yes, alone." Sammy's getting impatient. 

"Okay," I say, biting my lip. I turn around and slowly make my way up the stairs towards Jack's room. As soon as I'm up there I hear music coming from his room. I crack my knuckles and walk up to the door. Without even knocking, I push it open and feel my heart burst at the sight in front of me. 

"Marley?" Jack's eyes go wide as he pushes Leigh off of him. 

"Sam!" I shout, my voice cracking. "Start the car!" 

"Already on it!" He shouts back, his voice almost as hurt as mine. 

I lock eyes with Leigh, who has a surprised look on her face. I then focus my attention back on Jack, who just looks broken, but I don't care. I now know the answer to all his secrets and all of our problems. I should've known better. I should've not been so stupid.

"Bye," I blurt, swirling around. 

"Marley, wait." I hear Jack call after me, but I don't listen, I continue to walk away. I whip out my phone and text my Mom as fast as I can. 

Can you come and get me?

_______________________________________________________________________

LOL DON'T HATE ME! I know some of you had to see that coming. Haha anyway sorry it's so short but thanks for reading. Chapter Forty will be up soon! If you have any suggestions feel free to comment and if u wanna vote don't forget to do so! Much love, gilinskyshigh (Also I started a new account that I'm putting my Teen Fiction stories on, the user is dehisce and idk it'd be cool if some of you would wanna check it out! Thank you!)