Chapter Forty-Six

"You smell good," Matt drawls, his nose resting on top of my shoulder. He switches over to Kimber and sniffs her neck. "You smell like you always smell."

"Well thanks, Matty." Kimber laughs. She pushes him off her then steadies him. He's obviously drunk, but I still feel like I do smell good after hearing him tell me. He has that sort of vibe to him that makes you wanna believe every word he says. If he were to call me beautiful, I'd believe it.

"What's her name?" Matt asks, pointing toward me.

Before Kimber can answer for me, I speak up, "Marley."

He grins. "I like that name."

Kimber rolls her eyes as Matt leans toward me. She grabs the collar of his shirt and pulls him back. "Can you tell us where the beer is? If not you can take your horny ass somewhere else."

"You know you want me too." Matt teases, playing with Kimber's hair.

"He's stupid when he's drunk," Kimber tells me. There's a hint of red in her cheeks but I choose to ignore it. I nod.

"I'm not drunk." He argues.

"Where'd you get the beer?" Kimber asks.

Matt groans then falls back against a wall. "Out back!"

"Thanks, pretty boy." Kimber smiles then takes my hand as we walk away from Matt, pushing passed the crowd of people that have surfaced in the hallway.

"Is that all people do at parties?" I question when we reach the door to the patio.

"What's the is you're referring to?"

"Drink."

"Drinks are what makes the party." Kimber shrugs, pulling open the door. We step outside and are met with warm air and a slight breeze. The sun has moved downward slightly leaving an orangey tint in the sky. It's beautiful.

"So without drinks parties would be boring?"

"There's also the hookups, the dancing, and the swimming," Kimber says, pointing out the cooler filled with beers. We walk over to it and I pick up a can and study it. It's the same kind I had at Nate's party. "Is that good for you?" She asks, nodding at the drink in my hand.

"Yeah, it's perfect."

"So, you ready to have some fun tonight? This is like a welcome back gift for you in a way."

"I'm ready," I tell her, opening up my beer and taking a sip. It tastes like memories.

"And for the record," Kimber starts as we start to walk toward the fire pit that sits next to the pool in Matt's backyard. "I do want Matt."

I grin. "Of course you do.

"We're gonna find someone you want tonight," Kimber says, she's grinning too.

"You can try," I say, shaking my head. There's no way I'm going to end up wanting a guy other than Jack tonight, especially while I'm drinking this beer.

_________________________________

Sammy's POV

"How much longer?" Jack complains, gripping his headrest as hard as he can. I take a deep breath then look down at my lap at the GPS I have on my phone. 10 hours. Cringing, I look over at Jack. He's glaring at me.

"Seven hours." I lie.

"Seven hours?" Jack repeats. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

"No," I say, pursing my lips. Yes, there's actually ten hours but I told you seven.

"This is so stupid," Jack says.

"You've stated that twenty times already." I remind him.

"I can't believe we're doing this, why are we doing this?"

"We've had this conversation forty times already."

"She doesn't want to see me, she left Omaha to get away from me."

"Jack. Shut up."

"No!" He yells, I flinch a little, but quickly gain back my composure. "I'm not going to shut up! This is so fucking stupid. I don't care if you say Marley wants to see me, well I don't want to see her!"

"Of course you do, Jack." I grumble, gripping the steering wheel. I wish he'd stop lying to himself. It's obvious how much he misses her and how much he's just trying to cover it up.

"And how would you know?" He asks.

"Because if you didn't, we wouldn't be on the road. We'd still be on Omaha."

That shuts him right up. I thank God for quiet again, not even daring to turn on the radio. 10 hours and 33 minutes to go.

________________________________

I'm laughing at how I said I was going to update last week on Sunday and I never got to it I feel so bad lmao, school is just honestly too time consuming. But here is a short update for you guys! you know the drill by now lol comment, vote, do whatever. chapter forty seven will maybe be up soon but if not it'll be up next weekend. Much love, gilinskyshigh