Chapter Twenty-One

"I have an idea..."

   It's now day three of Gilinsky not talking to me and I don't know how much longer I can take it. Mallory and I are sprawled out on her couch stuffing our faces with chips when I hear her start to mumble stuff about this 'idea' she has. 

    "Go on..." I entertain her thoughts and sit upright so I don't choke in case she says anything majorly stupid. 

    "You should pretend to date Sammy, and then Gilinsky will get so jealous that he'll realize what a snob Leigh is and go out with you!" Mallory beams like it's the best thing she's ever said in her whole life. I place the bag of chips down on the coffee table and glare at her dead in the eyes. 

    "You're joking..." How could she possibly think that her idea was a good one, "That is so ninth grade chick flick!" 

    "Who gives a shit if it's 'ninth grade chick flick', it always works." Mallory argues. 

    "That's because it's in movies, Mal..." My eyes are wide and I'm honestly so shocked she thought I'd say yes to this.

    "Oh, come on, Marley, we have to do something." Mallory throws herself into my arms, "I hate not being able to hang out with all the guys just because Gilinsky can't handle his hormones when he's around you." 

    I snort out a laugh and smack Mallory in the shoulder, "Shut up." 

    "Sammy's already agreed to do it..." She says, falling out of my arms. I furrow my eyebrows at her. 

    "When did you talk to Sam about it?" 

    "Last night at the lake." Mallory reminds me. I shiver at the memory.

   Sammy's still trying to get me in that water but I just won't budge, and yesterday he almost succeeded. Gilinsky wasn't there of course...but Nate was. It was just a bundle of awkward. Especially since every time I looked at him I couldn't help but wonder if he knew we drank all of his beer. 

    "It's a stupid idea." I say, shaking my head. I can't believe Sammy even thought it'd work. 

    Mallory shrugs and brings her knees up to her chest. I start to feel as if maybe I hurt her feelings so I tell her that I'm sorry. 

    "No, that's not why I'm upset," She laughs it off, "I just wish Gilinsky would see how much better you are for him than Leigh...I hate seeming him like this, and how miserable you are." 

    "Who said I'm miserable?" I joke. Even Dad figured out that something was going on with me, and he knew right from the start that it was because of Jack. 

    "He's an ass." Mallory cracks a smile. I shrug and turn my attention back to the TV, not wanting to talk anymore about this whole mess. As soon as I get really into this one scene I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. Hoping that it's Gilinsky I whip it out and my heart stops when I see that it's only Sam. 

Heyyyy, are you still at Mal's?

Yeah, why? What's up

Nothin I was just wondering

She told me that you agreed to that awful plan of hers

Yeah I guess that was pretty dumb haha

It was

    He doesn't respond until fifteen minutes later, which is a new record for him. Sam is the kind of guy who answers texts right away. Well maybe not everyone's texts, but he does for mine. 

Was the idea dumb because you'd have to be dating me or just because you thought it was stupid...

    I feel myself get nervous after reading his message. 

I just think it's a silly idea, it had nothing to do with you I promise

That's cool 

    'That's cool'? What do I say to that?

You okay?

Yeah

Liar

I'm just in a pissy mood

Why? What happened?

Stuff with Jack

Which one?

Gilinsky

Do you want me to call you? 

No you're with Mallory

So? She'll understand

You don't have to call 

     I roll my eyes and turn to Mallory to tell her that I'm going to make a quick call. She nods her and and says that it's fine, so I make my way towards her bathroom and dial Sammy's number, "What's up?"

    "I told you not to call." There's obvious annoyance in his voice. 

    "Shut up and talk to me." I demand. 

    "It's fine...I don't want you to worry." Sammy's whispering now. 

    "What does that mean? Why would I worry?" Him telling me not to worry makes me worry.

    "They broke up again." They meaning Leigh and Gilinsky. My heart skips a beat, "He's uh, he's not taking it too well..." Just then I hear a crash and Sammy murmur a curse to himself. 

    "Sammy..." I want to throw up, "I'm going over there."

    "No!" He practically yells, "No I've got it under control!" Another crash. 

    "Bullshit, I'll be there in ten minutes." Hanging up the phone, I rush to Mallory and nod towards the door, "We're going to Sammy's."

    "Why, what happened?" She's just as concerned as me. 

    "It's Gilinsky.." That's all I have to say before she joins me at the door. 

    I know I'm the last person he wants to see right now, but that's not going to stop me from trying to calm him down. He's not the asshole...Leigh is. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Yo yo yooo! I hope you liked that I know I kinda ended at a cliffhanger but chapter twenty-two will hopefully be out soon, I don't know if today or tomorrow or whatever but it won't be too long! If you have any suggestions or advice leave them in the comments! much love - gilinskyshigh