Chapter Fifty

"Kimber what do I do?" I breathe, panicking in every way. I thought I'd be excited to see Sammy and maybe even be a little relieved to actually see Jack's face again but I'm not. I feel horrible.

"Whatever you feel like you need to do," She tells me, sitting down at the counter where we were just a few hours ago eating chips.

"Don't give me that bullshit." I hiss, my anger level rising.

"Calm down, M, everything's gonna be fine."

"Did I not tell you what happened in Omaha? You're acting like this isn't a big deal." I argue, on the verge of screaming.

"I'm not saying it's not a big deal, I'm saying that what your friends said back in Omaha before you left was right - you can't hide forever."

I clench my jaw and sit down next to her, burying my face in my hands. "I don't even know what I'm supposed to say to him? Maybe they left."

Kimber stifles a laugh and I roll my eyes. Of course they didn't leave, why would they? "Well this morning you said you still liked Jack and you also said you wish you could've had a chance with Sammy..." Kimber reminds me. "You have a choice to make."

"A choice?" I question, furrowing my eyebrows. What choice do I have? Obviously Sammy doesn't feel that way about me anymore and considering what happened with me and Jack, Sammy and so are never going to be a thing. Why would they even want to see me in the first place?

"You can either go out and face them or choose to ignore them and send them on their way."

"Kimber, I do-" before I can even finish my sentence there's a knock on the front door. I freeze in place. Kimber shoots me a look and goes for the door despite my complaints. "Shit, Kim," I whisper.

In two seconds I'm going to come face to face with the two boys that meant the most to me while I was in Omaha. Minus Johnson of course, why couldn't Sammy have brought him along? I'd feel more comfortable if he was here. Mallory too, where were they?

"She's right here." I hear Kimber mumble, she takes a step back and now I'm uncovered. Completely seen. I can't even bring myself to look up at either of them as they make their way into the apartment. A part of me wishes my mom was home so they Kimber and I would be getting yelled at and they'd have to go.

Jack and Sam stand there for a while. It's completely silent. I'm looking down at the ground and Kimber stands awkwardly at the door. Finally, I have enough of the silence and allow myself to look at Sam. He looks sad but as soon as we lock eyes he smiles. He opens up his mouth to say something but then he quickly decides against it and the silence continues.

Without even looking over at Jack I finally speak. "Uh...hey, what's up?" Kimber clears her throat and says that's she has to go to the bathroom and she's out of there within two seconds.

"Hey, Marley," Sam says, walking closer towards me. I watch him eye Jack, but still can't get myself to look over at him. "Who's your friend?" He asks.

"Kimber," I reply. I grin, knowing exactly what he's thinking. "She has a boyfriend." Sam's shoulders drop.

"Figures."

I can't tell if I should laugh or not because I can't tell if he's hurt or just kidding around. I know that if it's the second suggestion that I've done a number on him back in Omaha. Maybe I wasn't the only one who got their heart broke this summer.

"Sorry," I mumble, picking at my nails.

"It's cool...uh listen so I'm gonna go to the bathroom."

"Kimber's in there," I quickly state, not wanting him to leave Jack and I alone.

"No I'm not!" Kimber's voice shouts from the corner of the room. She peeks her head into the kitchen and smiles. "Come on, Sammy! I'll show you the way!" I give Kimber the death stare as I watch Sam make his way out of the kitchen. Silence quickly ensues.