Chapter Sixteen

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" The concern in Sammy's voice is evident as he pulls a can of beer from the case, handing it to Mallory. He gets a bunch of weird looks so quickly adds, "I meant getting John's daughter drunk." My sight wanders towards the locked door that stands still behind me. 

    "You're getting me drunk?" I cross my eyebrows in confusion. Everyone in the room tenses.

    "Well not exactly..." Johnson says when I glance over at him.

    "Yeah, you'll be doing that yourself." Mallory gives me a shy smile as she hands me my first can. Drunk? They want me to get drunk? Why would they? "All of us have done it at some point in our lives when we needed to take a different outlook on something..." She drifts.

    "I'm confused." I confess. 

    "You need this." Gilinsky huffs. I need what? A different outlook on something? What would I need a different outlook on? I'm praying to God I don't have an anxiety attack right in front of everyone.

    "It's kind of obvious you have some major anxiety issues - maybe forgetting all about that for one night will help?" Sam suggests. There's guilt in his eyes and I know he can tell how uneasy this is making me. 

    "I'll do it with you, if that makes you feel any better." Mallory places her hand on my knee. 

    Sitting up a little taller I try to take a deep breath. Scanning the room I watch everyone's expectant eyes focus in on mine. Maybe this is a good idea. If I can loosen up a little and just have fun without being so paranoid about stuff things could get better.

    "Okay." I squeak out. 

    "Yes!" Gilinsky cheers. "I can't wait to see the non-uptight version of you," He jokes. 

    "Won't that be a riot." Johnson plays along.

    "Don't freak me out!" I warn them, but I'm smiling. There's a funny feeling in my stomach that isn't nervousness, I can't figure out what it is, "And who are you calling uptight?" 

    Gilinsky gives me a grin that makes me want to melt through the floor, "I'm just playin'." He winks.

   "See you on the other side," Mallory sings at me before tilting her head back and taking a long gulp out of her beer. I look down at mine and swallow hard. I can do this. With that, I put the can up to my lips and drink away; I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Okay I know this chapter is like super, super, super short and I'm sorry, but I wanted to end it here before starting anything new so the next chapter could be longer and much better than it would be in this one. But thanks for reading I hope you liked it, and I promise chapter seventeen will be up either later today or early tomorrow.  If you have any suggestions or advice you can always leave them in the comments! don't forget to vote if you'd like to, much love - gilinskyshigh