Stress, Ships, and Secrets 《Part 26》

No one's POV•

"I like you Adrien."

She had the guts to confess, and I rejected her. That makes me a bad friend doesn't it...

That's all Adrien Agreste can think about right now. Just when he thought he was this close to slamming the door in someone's face, this happened. Now he slams the door in two faces. Nathalie's and his bodyguard's to be specific. Besides Kagami, that day was practically a full schedule, and he's not in the mood to talk about it.

It's annoying at this point, how much of a mess he feels like. Sliding down against the door, Adrien stays there for a minute, letting the thoughts in his head argue with each other.

He wants nothing more than to erase his current problems. The main one? The fact that he and Ladybug have been facing akumas for over a year, and now he has information that could make their overall battle way shorter.

The second one? The fact that he's the worst friend in existence. Kagami Tsurugi. She confessed to him. She liked him. And he broke her heart. The way she stormed off afterwards just hurts even more.

"Well what else were you gonna do? Say you liked her?" Plagg says boredly.

"It's not that simple Plagg," Adrien mutter under his breath.

"I'm a kwami, not cupid. Besides we have more important things to worry about--hey! I'm still talking you know!"

"And you can talk more when we get back," Adrien says. "Claws out."

•Night•

Paris is quiet tonight, which is good. No akumas, no rushing to save someone.

The light of a window catches his eye, and he smiles when he sees the girl at the window. Despite where they both are, they see each other and lock eyes for a moment. Chat has the sudden urge to talk to her, even though she's always teasing him in the locker room. His mind goes back to his mother in the coffin, and he can't help but hesitate.

He still hasn't given Nathalie an answer, and he hasn't told Alice anything either. If anything were to happen to her, and he knew he could've told her beforehand, he would never be able to live it down.

And yet he wants to say something.

The door to the balcony opens and Alice walks out. The corners of her lips turn up when she sees him.

"Look what the cat dragged in. Himself," she says loud enough for him to hear. "What are you doing?"

"Umm...patrol," Chat lies. "Yeah, just another patrol."

Alice shakes her head. "I'm assuming you don't do patrols by yourself. Unless you're that bored."

Chat rolls his eyes at Alice and jumps down, landing perfectly on the railing of the balcony. Alice gestures for him to follow her inside, but she keeps the door to the baloney open. He joins Alice at her bay window, sitting across from her.

Instead of her usual attire, she's in a sky-blue sweater dress and black stockings, and her hair is in a low ponytail. What actually catches Chat's attention is the black mist sitting like a cloud behind her.

"Um, Alice--"

"Don't worry about it," she says with a shrug. The pencil in her hand runs along the page of a notebook. "My power's kind of had a mind of their own since a dream I had. Speaking of the dream, did Plagg tell you about finding the book?"