Knowing More《Part 18》

"It doesn't look like much is happening tonight," Ladybug says, her and Chat sitting on the bridge.

Most patrols are uneventful like this. It seems like, for some strange reason, akumas are more common during the day. However the heroes patrol anyway, even when it seems like nothing is happening.

You can never be too careful, they both think, ignoring the fact that even when they're not saving the people of Paris, there's still a secret desire to be near each other. At least for one of them.

Ladybug stares at her feet, but quickly jerks her head up when Chat playfully kicks her ankle. "You seem lost in thought," he says with a smile.

Ladybug rolls her eyes. "Yeah, and you annoying me really helps my thought process," she says tiredly. Chat smirks, and lightly kicks his partner again. It's worth it just to see the look on her face. "I swear if you weren't my partner I'd--"

Ladybug turns away in embarrassment as she can't think of a good enough threat. "Whatever. Karma exists for a reason," she thinks.

"Is something wrong?" Chat asks. "You've been quiet for most of the time."

Ladybug goes back to staring at her feet, ignoring Chat's question. Chat frowns when she turns away.

"You're never this quiet...If something's up you can tell me. You know that right?"

The heroine nods slowly, and surprises Chat by suddenly resting her head on his shoulder. "Ladybug, are you--"

"I-I'm fine okay?" she says, quietly but forcefully. "I'm just a bit tired that's all."

Unconvinced, the black cat sighs and pulls Ladybug into a hug. "Maybe we should just end early tonight?" Chat suggests. "If you need some time off take it, okay? I'll handle things until you feel better."

Ladybug nods and her partner lets go of her, but she lingers for a second before standing up. "Its not a big deal Chat Noir. After all, I still have to be Ladybug, right?" she says, ignoring the growing nausea she feels.

"You don't have to be anyone," Chat insists. "I don't know what your real life is like, so just focus on taking care of yourself. I already said I'll handle stuff, like, five seconds ago. "

Ladybug lets out a breath and pulls out her yo-yo. Before she can swing it in an arc and leave the scene, she turns to her partner. 

"Thanks for caring so much Chat Noir."

"Yeah yeah. Now go get some sleep will you?"

••Marinette, 20 minutes later•

As soon as I land on my balconey and enter my room, exhaustion takes over me and I flop onto my bed.

"Tikki, spots off," I say weakly. In a flash of red light I'm back in my regular clothes and my kwami is front of me looking worried.

"Marinette what's wrong? And don't you dare tell me it's just because you're tired!"

"But I am tired Tikki," I complain. I grab a pillow and stuff my face in it just because I can. "And... maybe getting sick too."

I lift my head up and pull out my red hair ties, which lets my blue hair fall down to my shoulders and in front of my face. "Maybe I should just go to sleep before I start to feel any worse."

Tikki shakes her head at this. "Marinette, you know you're still wearing your---"

I don't hear the rest of her sentence, because I drift off to sleep.