Should've Told Me Sooner《Part 15》

Alice POV

I sit on my bed, hugging my knees while my head is against the window. I remember I used to be scolded for that as a kid. Right now I'm too drowned in the song lyrics playing to be paying attention to anything else.

I sing anyway. Loud enough for me to hear my own voice, but quiet enough so Lila doesn't hear.

"Just remember that I trusted you."

The memory hits me like a wave trying to knock me over. I groan and turn off my phone,throwing it to the edge of my bed. My focus is now completely changed.

Damnit. Just when I was doing a good job at distracting myself. Why am I thinking of this now?

It's been a week. After two years, I trusted him. Is that a good thing? I realize just how quiet it is in my room. Both Lila and my mom are here at the moment, but you can still here a pin drop. My eyes fall to my left wrist. I remember that day. We both went home with bruises. Am I upset over nothing? Have I just been shutting him out for no reason? And what about him? Is he even thinking about this all?

Does he even care?...

I try not to think about that and my attention goes back to my windowsill.

"I don't regret trusting him," I whisper to myself. At first I'm surprised, but the more I think about it the more honest I am with myself. I don't regret trusting Adrien Agreste.....

I smile at the thought. I don't know exactly what I think of him yet, but I trusted him. That's okay for now. Suddenly my phone chimes and I read the text. "Alright, what does she want to talk about this time?"

15 minutes Later, Marinette POV

"I can tell her. No I can't. Yes I can, I have to tell her today!" My thoughts go back and forth as I place around my room and Tikki follows me.

"Face it Marinette, you should've told her a while ago, she needs to know. She could be in a trouble and you'll regret not telling her!" Tikki insists.

And I know she's right. Something is wrong with Alice's miraculous. If she uses it too much or uses it longer than she should, she could get herself hurt. I'm not exactly sure how, Master Fu wouldn't explain that part to me. All I know is that it's dangerous and I need to tell her when she comes here.

"Maybe she won't come," I exclaim, "What if she and Lila have an argument and she's too mad to leave!"

Tikki just shakes her head at this. "I'm pretty sure she would want to leave if she had an argument with Lila of all people," Tikki rolls her eyes as she says Lila's name.

"Besides," she continues, "After what happened last time you should check on her." I stop pacing and sigh. Tikki has a point. I remember how Chat looked at me that night, after Mayura got away again. But he didn't care about that.

"You did you're best, that's what counts. We're a team, we'll do this together. Don't forget that," He said with a wink.

I felt myself blush, and quickly pushed my thoughts to the back of my mind. "What do we do about Alice?" I asked quickly. "If Mayura knows who she is, that means Hawkmoth probably does too."

He just smiled at this. "Lets just say we'll be ready if they try anything," Chat said.

I was surprised at how relaxed he was being, especially after the fact that Alice had fallen off a building. But everyone was safe for now, that's what mattered. Alice was at home right now, and for now no one seems suspicious of anything.

"I couldn't ask for a better partner Chat. You know that right?" I said honestly. He opened his mouth to reply, but he hesitated, and decided not to say anything at all.

Chat turned away and said,"I'll see you next time."

I groan as I remember the moment. "Why did he say that so...sadly?" I ask quietly. My thoughts are interrupted as the trapdoor swings open, and Alice enters my room.

"Hey Marinette," she says.

"Hi Alice, " I reply nervously.

Alice just shrugs and turns to Tikki. "So, what is she having me deal with today?" she asks. My kwami turns to me with a serious look.

"Marinette has something to tell you. And apparently she's been forgetting," Tikki says, emphasising on how I forgot.

I laugh nervously and turn my attention to Alice. "So um, here's the thing Alice...its about your necklace..."

She raises an eyebrow and simply says,"Go on." It sounds much more threatening than intended to be.

Wait a minute...she's not wearing it. Did she leave it at home? That's probably a good thing...but I hope she hid it well.

I take a breath, hold it, and let it out. "See, that day when we went to see Master Fu, he told me that...well..."

"Oh for Pete's sake Marinette!" Tikki says, fed up with my hesitation.

"You're necklace is corrupted Alice. Something is wrong with it, and it's something we're not sure how to fix. If you keep using it, it could be really dangerous for you!"

Alice's reaction is almost instant and her eyes shoot daggers at me.

"So exactly how long have you been meaning to tell me this?" she asks seriously.

"Umm, a few weeks?" I mumble. If we weren't friends I feel like she would've slapped me in that moment.

"A few weeks?!" Alice repeats, a little too loudly. "Marinette! If you thought this was important you should've just told me sooner!"

"I know I know!" I say hurriedly. "I'm sorry, I just didn't know how to explain it to you. I thought you'd still kind of be processing this whole thing."

She holds her gaze, but then she sighs. "You meant well, but I'm not a kid, Mari. I'm a year younger than you to be exact. Besides, now that I know I can do something about it. So tell me if something is important."

I'm honestly surprised by her answer. "I will, promise. So, what are you going to do?" I ask her.

Alice just gives me a wry smile. "First of all," she says," I need to talk to someone. Do you know where I might find Adrien on Monday?"

All the relief I was feeling before suddenly drains.

"I thought you guys weren't friends Alice," I mutter.

"We're not," she replies bluntly. "At least, I don't think so. I guess you could say we've had a few conversations. I just need to tell him something, that's all."

My mind goes through a million different things she could be telling him. Marinette calm down! You're overthinking for no reason.

Before I can stop myself, I say "Sure thing! I'm not sure exactly where he'll be, but I have an idea."

She stares at me for a moment more, as if she's thinking about something. However, she just replies with "Thanks Mari."

It doesn't take a genius to know that wasn't what she was going to say.