Nightmare Marks 《Part 28》

I open my eyes, and instantly close them again. There are hushed voices around me, but I'm too tired to listen in.

Tired.

That's when it slowly dawns on me that I'm laying down in some place. And I have not a single clue as to where that place is.

What...what even happened? My body feels like it's glued here.

My brain is so clouded, I don't even want to take the time to figure out everything. I close my eyes, hoping that who ever is here will just let me go back to sleep. After what feels like an hour, I take a peek again. I see nothing but the blinding white of the ceiling. Just like before.

The whispers go quiet, and I fully open my eyes to see a woman with watery eyes. "Mom? What are you--"

"Oh thank goodness!" She brings a hand to her heart dramatically. "I was so scared Alice you have no idea. I had to leave a meeting and it was such a mess and--" my mom stops abruptly as she sees my tired face. "I'm sorry sweetheart," she says. "You must be confused."

"Uh, yeah I guess." I move my bangs out of my eyes. "Where are we exactly?"

"A hospital room. You passed out."

I jolt upright, not even letting her words sink in. But I instantly regret it when my head feels lighter. My body slowly falls back to the bed, and I barely feel my head hit the pillow.

"What the hell happened?" I ask tiredly. In my head, I'm still falling onto the bed. Whatever happened, it couldn't have been good if I'm this exhausted.

"Alice, watch your mouth," my mom scolds. "You were at school, and some kids say that you started looking dizzy. And then you passed out, simple as that."

I shake my head. "How did--"

"Luckily, the doctors say you're completely fine," she interrupts. Her look softens and she continues. "I have no idea what you've been up to these days, but you better be getting enough sleep. Or maybe you're not eating enough? Whatever it is, just...take it easy on yourself for a bit, okay?"

I close my mouth and try to get the burning question out of my head, despite how much it's starting to eat at me. Mom keeps talking, but I can't tell whether she's talking to me or someone else. The only thing I can focus on is why I'm here in the first place.

Maybe I'm over thinking, but I've been doing so much of that lately. My thought process is a routine at this point. Think, over think, ask a million questions, act on my thoughts.

Yet despite how simple this situation seems, I can't figure out what my next step is.

* * *

Once I get home and I'm back in my room, I want nothing more than to pass out.

"I'm fine," I groan, pulling my blanket up to my chin. However, the pounding in my head says otherwise.

My mom smiles and shakes her head, then gently ruffles my hair. As she leaves the room and the door closes, I can hear her giving Lila her version of the day. Of course, with a bit of my perspective thrown in there. My sister agrees to check on me every once in a while. Frankly, I don't care if she does or not.

Suddenly there's a painful, burning feeling on the skin on my arm. I grimace as I roll up my sleeve, hoping that I didn't scrape my arm or something earlier.