Heart-stabbing Questions《Part 8》

"Sorry Alice!" Daphne says, not bothering to hide the laughter in her voice. Typical Daphne. "You didn't answer my question by the way." she presses on. "Who were you looking at? Blueberry? Blondie? Brownie with glasses--"

"No one." I reply bluntly. I make a move to walk past her, but she moves to the side to stop me. "I know you're lying! I'm not moving until you tell the truth!" she says with a playful smile. Knowing her, my classmate won't move until she gets an answer.

I stare right back into her eyes and reply coolly, "I guess you're not moving then." My response clearly surprises her, because her jaw drops and she doesn't say anything. Finally, her shock turns into another smile. "Fine, I don't need an answer now. But I wanted to ask you something!"

Oh brother. My eyes go wide when she says, "Are you free after school today?" 

It takes me a second to process this before I realize she's serious. I mean, I shouldn't be too surprised. She's always been the "get along with EVERYONE" kind of person. But still.... I've gotten used to being by myself. In fact, I almost prefer it now.

"Yeah, no I'm not. Sorry."

Daphne pouts and says in a sing-song voice, "Are you sure Alice? C'mon, I see you by yourself a lot of times, and I really think we could be friends!"

I decide to mess with her a bit. Feigning sadness, I say quietly, "D-do you think I don't have any friends?" It takes everything in me not to smile when she hurriedly says, "W-what no that's not what I meant! I just thought 'cause--"

"Daphne I was messing with you."

My classmate looks at me and the  sighs of relief. "Oh thank goodness, cause I seriously thought I--"

"You didn't. Now I have to go see somone. You should probably ask someone else to do dumb things with you."

And with that, I give her a glare that says this conversation is over. I turn on my heels and storm off, wishing from the bottom of my heart that I hadn't spoken at all. That I had watched what I said.

I wish I had apologized.

After School, Marinette POV

"Marinette!"
I turn around to see Alya running towards me. "So, are you gonna tell her?" she asks. I hesitate, and then decide,"I won't tell until she asks."

My mind goes back to the conversation from earlier. I had dragged Alya to my locker and told her everything. How Alice and Lila were actually sisters, and Alice apparently had a best friend in Adrien. "I don't get it. His dad seems super protective, do you think he knew?" she said.

"Maybe he was less protective then?" I suggested. Alya looked like she was thinking. "Well, how does Alice take this?" she asked. "Well, she acts like it's not really a big deal, but--"

"Then I'll do the questioning obviously. You're a total mess when you're around Adrien!" And with that, she grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards Adrien's locker, and to my surprise he was there.

"Hey Adrien we--well, Marinette has the questions." She exaggerated on the word "question."

Before he could reply, Alya was already talking in that interview tone of hers. "So rumor has it you had a childhood friend, by the name of Alice if I'm correct? Do you mind confirming this, what can you tell us? What is the reason you two are not so close anymore?"

Adrien looked surprise, then laughed and said,"Some rumor huh? Where did you two hear that?"

"W-well..." I stammered. "She kinda, told me." At this, he just smiled sadly. "I guess she trusts you. That's...really nice to hear actually. She seems to not trust people as easily as before."

"So, you two were friends then? What happened?" I asked. My heart started pounding when he put a hand on my shoulder. "I'm just glad she sees you as a friend Marinette. You're a really great person."

He walked away after that.

Alya just nods as she remember what happened (I mostly pay attention to when he touched my shoulder). "I guess he didn't really wanna talk huh?" she says, slightly disappointed. "Well, there's not really anything we can do about it now."

"I'm surprised you didn't pass out to be honest."

I quickly turn around when I hear Alice's voice. "He won't talk Mari." she says with a shrug. "But like I said, it's not a huge deal. I...appreciate it though. Sort of."

She smiles and walks away, leaving me even more curious than I was before.

20 minutes Later, Alice POV

"Mom I'm---"

"Sorry Alice I'm in a rush today." she says, while nearly running into me as I walk inside. I dont bother asking questions. Mom quickly hugs me and kisses the top of my hair, then she's out the door like her life depends on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I smile to myself and go to my room, avoiding looking  at the room next to it. But nothing prepares me for what would happen when I walked in.

"What are you doing in here?" I ask impatiently. Lila quickly turns around when she hears me. Multiple pieces of paper are in a corner on the floor, some of them slightly crumpled. She looks like a dear in headlights, but it's replaced with a scowl in a matter of seconds.

"It doesn't matter. I don't need to tell you everything I do, right?" She makes a move to walk out the door, but I grab her wrist before she leaves.
"Why were you looking in that drawer?"

She doesn't respond to my question. It doesn't matter, because I'll wait. She opens her mouth, and I expect an answer. Instead, she nearly screams, "Well why do you care!? I don't have to tell you, okay!"

"You were going through my stuff, that's why I care! So you better tell me or else--"

"Or else what? You'll show everyone what a good little two shoes you are!?"
..........

Her words are like a stab to the heart. Slowly, I let go of her wrist.

"The heck? Why would you even bring that up!?"

"I have every right to bring it up! You think I'll just magically forget? Well I won't, especially when you still have that picture! I should just rip it next time I see it!"

"You know that wasn't my fault, so why don't you just shut up about it!" I yell in frustration. I surprise my self. I've lost my temper many times, but this....

I look at her desperation. "Lila, just---"

Once again, I'm slapped in the face. Only this time, it's so hard it makes me yelp. It takes everything in me not to reach for my necklace in anger.

With that Lila heads back to her own room and slams the door, granting me the freedom to silently cry.