Changes 《Part 35》

Alice

I grab the scissors in one hand and hold the end of my hair with the other.

This is one of those spur of the moment things, right? I feel like I'm gonna regret this. But at the same time...

I close my eyes. I don't open them until I hear the "snip" sound. Something light tickles my hand, and I know the job is done.

I open my eyes, slowly getting a look at myself and the pieces of hair that lie on the floor. My hair is now shoulder length, but some parts of it are longer than others.

"It doesn't look that bad..." I mutter. "Maybe I should cut my bangs too? Then again, that never ends well."

I trim the ends while listening to the news on my phone.

"Don't be bemused, it's just the news. Gabriel Agreste has been revealed to be the infamous Hawkmoth! And just when you thought this was it, it turns out his assistant has been working by his side as Mayura. What a scoop!"

I listen intently, but I'm not really thinking about the villains. I'm thinking about what this will do for Adrien.

"His mom is in a coma, there's no way he's gonna see his dad anytime soon..." I pause as it finally sinks in. "I just wish that things didn't have to be like this."

I set the scissors down when I hear a knock, and I open my door to see my mom standing there. She looks annoyed. "Alright, I've had enough of--" She stops and stares at my hair, mouth agape. "Never mind. You need to get out of your room."

"I got out of my room this morning," I remind her.

"That was to eat breakfast. You've missed a week of school," she scolds. "There's a huge celebration in a couple minutes. Something about Ladybug and Chat Noir I think. You should go and make some friends."

I roll my eyes. I don't blame you since you're never around, but I have friends.

That's what I want to say. Instead, I bite my tongue and nod in agreement. "Fine. I'll go."

Mom smiles triumphantly, and leaves without closing the door. My phone vibrates on my desk, and my newest text makes me feel a bit better.

I think back to last night. I was with Mari, and Adrien wanted to talk to us. He led us to his basement, where the root of all this was hidden.

The light above illuminated the glass coffin. And in it, there was a face I hadn't seen in years.

Emilie...

I stared at the coffin, mixed emotions in my stomach. We were surrounded by white butterflies, and I looked down as one landed on my finger.

"The miraculous can change reality. But making a wish like that is really risky." Adrien said quietly. "I was thinking about it to be honest, but deep down, I feel I shouldn't... you know..."

"Wake her up?" I finished.

Marinette shot me a look, and I mentally reminded myself to watch my mouth. Adrien gently put a hand on the glass, staring at his mother's closed eyes. I noticed his eyes watering, but he quickly blinked back his tears.