What Happened To Us《Part 6》

"Hey! You waited for me!" I exclaim as I turn the the corner. I frown as I finally notice his face.

He doesn't look up, he doesn't say anything. Leaning against the wall of the school, he just stays quiet. All this does is concern me.

"Um, is something wrong?" I ask. "I thought you were only allowed to talk to Chloe. Did you want to talk about something?"

He still doesn't say anything. We stand there for about a minute, before he says something that makes my blood turn to ice.

"Don't talk to me again," he says.

I quickly turn to look at him. He's still wearing the same emotionless expression he was before.

"You're kidding, r-right?" I stammer. "Why?! I'm your friend!"

He looks surprised for a minute, but he just glares at me.

"You're really dumb aren't you?" he sneers. I can feel my cheeks getting hot, and my eyes starting to water.

"Why are you being such a jerk?" I mutter. To my humiliation, I feel a single tear stream down my face. Stop crying stop crying stop crying...

Suddenly he yells, "Don't you get it?!"

My heart starts pounding and I manage to get out a "N-no." There's no one else around, just the two of us. He gives me a look that I've never seen on him before. Contempt.

"Let me make it clear for you. We. Aren't. Friends. We never were."

Before I can say anything, I feel a sharp pain on my cheek. I look at him, a mix of horror and anger on my face.

Contempt. He hates me doesn't he?

That slap changes my demeanor in a matter of seconds. "What is wrong with you?!" I ask him angrily. "Five years and you say we're not friends?"

"After what you did, why are you surprised?" he says.

I won't believe it. I won't believe that those five years were nothing. I won't believe that after everything we've been through together, he would just act like this.

I'm full on crying now. But I don't care, I don't even bother trying to wipe my eyes. All my focus is on the boy standing in front of me.

"Stop it. I know you're lying. I know you'd never mean those things." I pause, and take a deep breath. "And I know you'd never hurt me on purpose."

He still doesn't say anything. In all my anger, I do something I still regret today. As hard as I can, I slap him right back. The look on his face, one of hurt and shock, is enough to make me cry even harder.

"I hate you." he says.

That's what makes me snap. "Oh yeah? 'Cause I hate you more! And I hope I never see your face again!"

Then, I slap him a second time.

He doesn't let me get away with it.

***
I open the back door and walk inside. They're still not home yet. I run upstairs, to the bedroom next to mine. As soon as I knock on the door, I hear feet stomping. My sister opens the door angrily.

"What is it?" she asks, clearly annoyed that I interrupted whatever she was in the middle of. She's about to say something else, when she finally gets a good look at me.

"Mind telling me why you have bruises all over you?" she asks with a smile. The tears in my eyes start forming again.

"My friend... we got into an argument and..." I wipe my tears with my sleeve. My sister looks at me, and then she burst out laughing.

"Pretty typical sis." she says as she trys but fails to hold back her laughter. "Who would want to be you're friend anyways? And besides..."

Before I know what's happening, I feel the same pain I did before as my sister slaps me.

"I don't have to work with a fresh canvas today," she laughs.

With another wicked smile, she slams the door in my face. I sigh, and look down at myself.

After everything she has done, everything she's done to me, why did I ever expect to get any sympathy from Lila?

What did I do wrong, to both of them?