Meii 《Part 27》

"I can explain, I swear," Alice insists.

Adrien stands there awkwardly, fidgeting with his hands. Marinette stands next to him with her arms crossed. Despite the tension, both of them wait for Alice's answer.

"Okay, so I might've told both of you--"

"What? Why would you do that?!" Marinette and Adrien yell at the same time.

Alice quickly brings her finger to her lips. "Look, as far as I know, you guys don't have any secrets except mine," she explains. "You're...my friends. That's all it is. So please, don't think anymore about this."

Adrien's look softens, but Marinette stays quiet.

"Alice, I knew you were reckless, but I didn't think you were this reckless," Marinette says, her tone surprsingly annoyed.

"Maybe this is all just a big misunderstanding," Adrien says nervously, but Alice is already ignoring him.

"Misunderstanding? This is--"

A scream from outside makes them all jump.

"I have to go!" Adrien and Marinette say at the same time. They look at each other nervously, but quickly laugh it off. As Adrien leaves, Marinette turns her attention back to Alice.

"Eiffel Tower. As soon as I'm done."

"Fine." Alice doesn't need and an explanation. She's in trouble and she knows it.

Marinette nods and runs out of the library, her kwami already by her side.

I was so blunt with her...I don't regret it though. We need to talk, whether she wants to or not.

***

Four. Akumas. In. One. Day.

Ladybug has no idea how Chat's still his usual upbeat self, despite one of their most tiring days in weeks.

"So, why do we need to see Alice again?" he asks.

Ladybug glares at him and throws her yo-yo in a random direction. "Just wanna talk, that's all," she says, more aggressively than she means to. She doesn't bother explaining it to her partner, he'll follow out of curiosity anyway.

It only takes them a few seconds to get to the Eiffel Tower. Luckily, Alice is already waiting when they get there. She turns around as they land behind her.

"We need to talk," Ladybug says sternly, ignoring her tiredness. So many akumas at once isn't an ideal way to spend her time. Dealing with more secrets just makes her more annoyed. "Why did you tell Marinette and Adrien your secret? Did everything we went through just slip through your mind?"

"Woah woah woah. Is someone gonna fill me in?" Chat says jokingly.

Alice doesn't hesitate with her answer. "I trust them. As far as I'm concerned, that's none of your business." She takes a breath before continuing. "I slipped up, that was my fault. But they've been there for me way more than you have."

Ladybug can't tell whether the girl is putting up an act to hide what happened this morning, or telling the truth. Either way, her words sting.

"Well, maybe you were better off without them."

The look on both Chat and Alice's faces tell Ladybug that she was too harsh, an act or not.