epilogue

three months since harry's disappearance

louis walked into his apartment building one evening after a very long day at work. he was able to maintain a secretary job at a hospital for the meantime, thanks to liam. liam assured him that starting off working around the doctors, but not in their way, would be a great start to getting a job at the hospital once he was in medical school. it was better than being a janitor so louis was grateful, at least. although, he hated the long hours of filing paperwork and making coffee trips here and there.

"evening patricia, how's your daughter today?" louis calls out to the older front desk worker who he had become quite close with as he waited in his apartment lobby every weekday morning for the bus to pick him up. he does not drive, and actually never really wants to.

"she's great louis, spending the weekend with her father actually."

"shame." louis replies as he pulls out his mailbox key to check if he had any mail today. he had a couple of junk envelopes, but a big blue one caught his eye. it looked official, because it was sealed with a golden sticker. it was from the university of london. possibly regarding his application. it was either an acceptance or a "we regret to inform you" letter. and louis could feel his stomach get queasy and his whole being began to tighten and tense up.

"its a letter from uni." he says to patricia, and walks up to her desk. he didn't really have anyone else to talk to about this kind of stuff, with his family so far and having no more friends. he has yet to hear from niall or zayn, and it kind of felt like they all were never even friends. like it was all some big weird shared dream or something.

"open it love!"

"I'm quite nervous, not exactly the scholarly type they want at their school with my résumé of eating disorders and group home therapy."

"you're too pessimistic, any school would be lucky to have someone like you in attendance!"

"you flatter me, patricia." louis jokes as he rips open the envelope and nervously begins to read. all he sees is "congradulations" and he already knows he did the damn thing.

"I've been accepted!" he shouts and he and patricia start a happy, yet dorky, dance in celebration.

"congrats louis! you get to leave this shit hole and make something of yourself."

"I have to go call my mum, goodnight!" louis shouts and runs to the lift so he can return home.

he dials up his mom and explains the news. he's positive his mum has started to dorky dance like he just did a couple minutes prior. she allows him to talk to his siblings for a bit before he lets them go so he can start figuring out how to plan to move to london.

louis thinks that he should immediately start to pack but he notices the pictures on his desk of the boys and liam and he gets a bit sad. if he moves away, he would be farther away from everyone. he feels like he should tell liam of the news. after all, it was liam who convinced louis to go to medical school in the first place.

the first thing the next morning, louis showers and gets ready to catch a bus so that he can return to liam's home. the group home that he hasn't been in, in over 3 months. a place that he had called his home for so long. he was nervous, to say the least. to see liam, but to also see harry. he hadn't talked to him since the incident where louis put his hands on harry in a very unloving way. something he had promised he'd never do. he regretted it of course, when he woke up the next day and saw no sign of harry. but he stood by his decisions.

after the bus dropped him off, louis had about 3 blocks to walk until he reached the home. thankfully, he saw liam's car in the driveway, so he wasn't at the hospital. he took a deep breath in preparation, and walked up to the door. he knocked, kinda loudly, and waited for an answer.