chapter 1//Louis's Introduction

"1..2..3..4.." Louis counted staring up at the clock in the doctors office. He was dressed in a gown, his clothing thrown lazily on the chair beside the medical bed. he was swinging his legs back and forth to the rhythm of the ticking clock. he dug his bruised up nail beds into the cushion below him. his fingers were cut and raw from the vomit that would coat his fingers up to 3 times daily. the bruising appeared thanks to his anemia. Louis wasn't sick. he was normal. the vomiting/laxatives/and jogs kept him in shape. if the doctors tried to stop him, he'd for sure gain weight and be sickly.

he stared up at the clock again. it had been exactly 10 minutes and 32 seconds since the doctor asked his mum to step outside to have a chat. Louis hates seeing his mum Johannah worry about him. there was nothing to be worried about! he had this under control.

his mind starting to drift on to what he would have for dinner when they got back when suddenly the door crept open. it was just the doctor- Dr. Lee.

"please come with me love." she smiled and waited as Louis hopped off the bed and followed her into another room.

"hop on the scale for me babe." she said sweetly and grabbed her clipboard and pen. Louis stepped onto the scale and didn't dare look down at his weight. if he saw anything higher than yesterday, he would need to excuse himself immediately from the appointment and go find the nearest toilet.

"just over 7 stones." Dr. Lee mumbled softly and jotted it down.

"mind if we have a chat real quick Louis?" she smiled sitting down at a desk. Louis nodded and sat down on the chair opposite of the desk.

"how tall are you?" she asked.

"5'8." Louis answered and fiddled with his thumbs.

"okay Louis.. you realize that the average weight for your height and age is close to 9 stone, you're barely at 7."

"I'm just a bit smaller than other boys my age." Louis threw at her excuse after excuse. it wasn't anything she hadn't heard before.

"you're extremely underweight Louis. this could be deadly." she sighed and stood up to continue his examination in this different room.

"could you open your mouth darling?" she smiled and Louis hesitated but opened his mouth. his teeth were slowing eroding from the acid in his vomit. thankfully he wasn't missing any teeth, but it did make them extremely sensitive to very hot or cold food items. his tongue was also raw and red.

Dr. Lee examined his arms, legs, chest, stomach, and thighs.

"now how'd you get those?" Dr. Lee asked, referring to the cuts now turned scabs on his inner thighs. Louis had experimented with cutting and he hadn't decided if it was for him or not.

"Cats." he lied. he did have one cat, but she was harmless and never even went around Louis.

Dr. Lee hummed in response and examined his fingers.

she was writing down her findings as she went and shook her head.

"now tell me, what do you think about food?" Dr. Lee asked sitting back down.

Louis gulped. the mentioning of food turned his stomach but also made it rumble in frustration. he was very sick at how hungry he was.

"i love food."

"you do? what's your favorite food?"

Louis bit his lip and thought long and hard. he thought back to when he was a child. when he actually did enjoy food. he loved sausages and mash. it was his favorite after school meal. whenever his mum made it, it filled his belly with warmth and love.