chapter 10/family day

"i'm not gay." Louis tells Zayn as Zayn prepares tiny sandwiches and stirring up containers of lemonade. they're prepping for family day tomorrow. Liam surprised the boys at their last group that family day was approaching soon. and the day was finally here. Louis had not seen his family in so long. he was sitting on the counter helping Zayn. er- kind of. he was mostly talking Zayn's ear off while he sat on the countertop. Niall was also in the kitchen, but he was focusing on the other sides, such as the pasta and potato salad.

"Louis, i've heard this story so many times, i'm not sure if you're trying to convince me or yourself. now spread the mayo on the bread." Zayn rolled his eyes and cut up the deli meats and cheeses. it was true, Louis hadn't been able to get the date out of his head. he didn't mean to kiss Harry. it just sort of happened.

Louis huffed and spread the mayo on the bread.

"there's nothing wrong with being gay, by the way." Zayn tries to ease Louis' mind.

"but i'm not gay." Louis muttered.

"you're the one who kissed Harry though, right?" Niall asked while dicing up some pickles.

"no one's talking to you Niall." Louis shushes him and Niall rolled his eyes.

"your conversation isn't exactly private idiot." Niall mumbled.

"enough." Zayn warns, not wanting a fight to brew.

"it was in the heat of the moment." Louis says, to no one in particular.

Louis and Harry haven't really acknowledged the kiss since it happened. nothings awkward.. besides Louis' thoughts. he thinks about the next time he'll be able to kiss Harry again, and it's troubling.

"then don't label yourself." Zayn says as he assembles the tiny sandwiches.

"huh?"

"like who says you have to be "gay" or "straight"? don't label yourself. you're just going to confuse yourself. and Harry."

"is Harry gay?" Louis asked.

"i don't think he labels himself." Zayn said as he finally finishes the sandwich platter. he puts them away in the fridge, along with the lemonade. Niall puts away the sides he was working on as well.

"hmm, never mind this. i'm done talking about it." Louis jumps from the counter.

"for today." Zayn teases to Niall and Niall giggles.

"where is Harry anyway?"

"out with Liam, we're guessing."

"at his hospital rounds?"

"family is a touchy subject for Harry." Zayn said.

"how so?"

"he don't got any." Niall answered as he walked upstairs, declaring he was going to shower.

Louis stood there, dumbfounded.

"my special boy. look at you." Jay says as she hugs Louis close. Louis is overwhelmed with his mother's beautiful perfumed scent. he wrapped his arms around her tightly. he never wanted to let go. his mum explained that Liam suggested only older siblings should visit Louis, as this home and the boys in it are too complex for their younger minds to comprehend just yet. it could even be triggering for the young children to see Zayn's heroin scars or Harry's razor scars. Jay pulled away first and fixed Louis' button up shirt collar. he hugged Fizzy and Lottie next, apologizing for being so absent.

"you look amazing Louis." his sisters compliment him, and for the first time, he believes them.

he hopes the home isn't overwhelming. he sees Zayn engulfing his mom and sister in a hug, Niall is excitedly talking his parents and older brother about the home and his improvements since they last saw him 6 months ago. Louis looks around. Harry isn't in sight, neither is Liam.