Camping Stories

Merlin sat on the log, watching the flames rise and fall. Being a warlock, it was a surprise to him that he did not fear the flames. After all, Morgana did. 

Morgana sat as far as she could from the fire, she eyes watching the moving heat constantly. Arthur sat beside her, laughing with the few knights that joined. Merlin caught Lancelot's eye as Arthur retold the story of the griffin, and smirked as Lancelot was applauded for his bravery. Gwaine handed everyone a beer, the knight seemed to too many water skins saddled on his horse, but they where not on duty so no one cared. 

Merlin declined the ale Gwaine offered, as did Gwen. Morgana took it, but didn't drink. 

Leon soon sat down on his own log, tired of Arthur's same old stories he told every year. 

"How about we have a competition, then." Gwaine suggested as Lancelot and Arthur finally sat down, Lancelot tired of the heaps of praise and attention  Arthur threw upon him.

"No more competitions!" Leon groaned. "You always win with your silly tavern stories."

"How about we just tell tales of our life, something we want to share?" Gwen suggested quietly. She sat way to close to Arthur, but nobody cared. They all adored the couple, even if Uther forbade it. 

Morgana nodded slowly. "That would work." The flames burst in her direction, making her move to her right, bumping into Merlin. He smiled at her as Arthur started again with another of his stories. "You don't need to be scared. I'll protect you." The cheesy words slipped out his mouth before he could stop them, and he hoped the thin light from the flames hid his blush. Morgana smiled. "Thanks Merlin." 

"Enough Arthur!" Gwaine groaned, scaring the two magicians. "Someone else tell a story before I rip my ears off!" 

Gwen giggled, and Arthur pouted. Leon shook his head. "Well, we all have told stories the way here. Gwen, how about you? You've been quiet the whole way." 

Gwen smiled kindly at the knight. "Of course I'll go! I just need to think of a story."

Morgana smiled, and whispered to Merlin, "She's gonna talk about her and Arthur." 

Sure enough, Gwen started with a story about a servant and a prince, with Arthur butting in every now and then. 

But it was a good story, and everyone was smiling at the end. "Leon? Lancelot? How about you?" Lancelot shook his head. "Haven't been here long, and I think Arthur told my life story back there." They all laughed. 

Leon rubbed his hands. "Hm. I think I got one..." 

He started the story, something about serpents in a woven basket, but Merlin was to preoccupied with Morgana's head that rested on his shoulder. He could tell by her easy breathing that she was half asleep. 

He slowly rested his head on hers, watching the flames dance. He exhaled slowly, and closed his eyes as Leon continued storytelling. 

"I trust you." Morgana whispered.

"I trust you too." Merlin mumbled.

Neither noticed Lancelot smiling next to them.