Chapter 18 - Play Nice Demon

Here is a photo of Zorander's living room ^^ 

Raziel's POV

"Your human is peculiar. How can he fall asleep with a demon in the room," Zorander snarls.

I tilt my head to look at my human who is curled up and fast asleep on my lap. He has a soft smile on his slightly parted, glossy, pink lips and quiet snores are coming from him. I smile as I gently run my hand through his fluffy pink hair. I press a quick kiss on top of head and squeeze him a little closer to my body.

I hear Zorander making loud retching noises and I roll my eyes. "Quiet, demon, you'll wake him."

"How did you find out so much about Declan? You didn't have enough time to observe him," Zorander drawls, giving me a bored look.

"There's a ghost attached to him so he informed me," I reply, absentmindedly rubbing circles on Kai's back.

I gave Zorander the rundown of Declan's story and why he was bullying Kai and the irritating demon couldn't stop laughing. I did however let him enjoy himself and didn't threaten to send him back to hell this time since I thought of it as a reward for helping me plan the date.

Zorander smirks, his black eyes gleaming with interest. "Well now I have to be there. I'm sure there's a tragic reason why the ghost would take the risk of becoming a hollow for the bully." He pauses for a second before tentatively asking, "Would you really have ignored your guardian angel duty for this human?"

I look at the sleeping boy in my arms. Even in sleep, he is the most beautiful being I've ever laid eyes on and I've met quite a few stunning creatures. "Yes."

"So you would really have given up all your angelic powers? That would make you human? You despise humans!" Zorander's eyes are wide and he is staring at me in utter shock.

I smile as I watch a tiny string of drool at the side of Kai's mouth leak out onto my sweater. It would have been a tough decision but ultimately I would always choose Kai. I will never hurt him again. "I would do any and everything for him."

"I can't tell if it's cute that you would be willing to give up your powers for him or manipulative that you put the burden of the choice on him," Zorander says with a snicker.

Burden? Manipulative? I press my sleeping human closer to my body. Oh heavens, did I mess up again?

"Guardian angel Raziel?" I turn towards the voice and see Lance awkwardly standing in front of Zorander's fireplace. "I... I found you through your connection to Declan since I'm equally as connected to him."

His grey eyes shift nervously between Zorander and me. His jet black, short hair is swooped messily to the left and his thick eyebrows furrow together as he takes a tentative step forward. He raises his hand to his face to push the black frame of his glasses, which accentuate his cheek bones, up on his nose.

"Why are you here, ghost?" Zorander grunts, sitting up in his seat and crossing his arms.

Lance flinches at Zorander's harsh tone but takes another step forward, this time more determined. "I need your help! It's Declan, he's about to do something stupid-"

"What? Bully another half brother?" Zorander says with a snicker and Lance recoils at his icy tone.

"That's not it. He regrets that," Lance whispers mournfully. He shuffles closer but stops when Zorander hisses.

I roll my eyes. "Play nice demon, let the ghost get his words out. What did you come here to tell me?"

"Yes okay. Declan is going on a robbing spree. The doctors called this evening and said that if he didn't pay the outstanding fees, they would discharge her from the hospital. Those good for nothing friends of his, Brandon and Kyle, suggested it. No matter how much I told Declan that it was a bad idea, he wouldn't listen to me. He's meeting up with them now." Lance hurriedly explains in a speed that could rival Kai's when he's excited, and a tiny smile graces my face. I'm sure these two will get along splendidly.

I kiss the sleeping boy on my lap one more time before carefully shifting him to lie on the couch. I place a pillow under his head and another in his arms which he happily snuggles.

"I'll take you to him!" Lance exclaims with a huge smile on his face. "Thank you for helping!"

I don't bother telling Lance that I don't really have a choice because eventually I would have been pulled to Declan and would have to help him.

"Demon, you're coming with me," I say assertively. "Tell me the location," I order, looking at Lance with a raised eyebrow.

"I want to come-"

"No. You'll stay here. The demon comes with me." Lance shudders under my authority, his eyes are filled with fear and he nervously nods his head. I wasn't trying to scare the ghost, the warrior within me is just rearing its ruthless head.

There's also no way I'm leaving Kai alone with Zorander. He may be a tame demon and it's unlikely he'll hurt Kai but I am still unsure of his motivations. He has been kind enough to me thus far but I haven't been able to determine if it's genuine or a part of some long psychological torment that he's planning.

Zorander snickers, leaning forward in the chair and linking his fingers. "I'm offended that you don't trust me."

"Don't take it personally, I don't trust most creatures," I reply with a shrug.

Zorander rolls his eyes and rises from his chair. "Where to?"

"The gun store near Mall Street," Lance replies and Zorander nods indicating that he knows where it is.

I stoop down next to Kai and gently press my index and middle fingers over his eyes and I close my own. I concentrate, letting my energy flow from my fingertips to Kai's eyes and granting him the ability to see the heavenly plane.

"He'll be able to see you once he wakes up. I expect you to be kind and you are not to leave his side," I tell the ghost. I stare at him for a moment longer realizing that he's actually transitioning into a hollow. Interesting.

Lance nods enthusiastically at my request and holds up three fingers. I frown but decide not to question it.

"You ready Razzy," Zorander says with a smirk which is immediately wiped off his face when I take a threatening step towards him.

"Sure Zor," I reply and he grimaces which makes me smile triumphantly.

Zorander holds up his hands in surrender. "Let's just agree not to use the names your human has given us. They make me want to gauge my eyes out."

"It's so cute coming from Kai," I say, turning to gaze upon his sleeping form one more time.

"Try to keep up," Zorander snarls just before he dissolves into dense, black smoke and scatters.

I let out a frustrated groan before speeding out the door. This would be a lot easier if I had my wings and that irritant of a demon knows it. I sniff the air, following his sulphuric, demon smell as he leads me to Declan. 

What did you think of the chapter?  

Next chapter we will be from Kai's POV and he'll get to meet Lance! Any theories about how Lance died? Or how him meeting Kai will go?

Fun Fact: This story is still growing and changing as I write. The line that Zorander asked about manipulation was an edit inspired by a question that ani_dn asked last chapter. 

If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote and/ or leave comments! ❤