Chapter 20 - Declan

Here's a photo of what Declan would look like ^^

Raziel's POV

"Over there." I gesture to the streetlamp, where Declan is standing next to a blonde haired boy and a black haired boy, who I assume are Brandon and Kyle. Zorander nods, and we creep towards them, keeping ourselves concealed from them.

"Wear this," the blonde haired boy orders, shoving a black, cloth mask into the hands of the other two.

"Brandon, maybe this isn't a good idea," Declan mumbles, addressing the blonde haired boy.

He scoffs. "Great you freaked out when we beat up that kid and now you're chickening out. What a wimp." He pulls the mask over his face, concealing everything but his eyes.

"We almost killed him!" Declan exclaims, the horror evident in his voice.

"You saw him today. The kid was fine," the black haired boy, who I assume is Kyle, jumps in.

Declan's jaw clenches. "I'm out." He shoves the mask back into Brandon's hand before murmuring under his breath, "Lance was right, at this rate I'll end up in prison." He turns to walk away, but Brandon grips his shoulder, halting him in his progression.

"Think about your dying mother. How else would you get the money? This is the only way," Brandon mutters, and Declan's jaw ticks. "I told you, we've done this before, it's easy. In and out."

Declan shrugs off Brandon's hand and hurries away, tears glistening in his eyes as he makes a hasty retreat.

"Coward!" Brandon yells after him and he scoffs when he gets no response before shifting his attention back to Kyle. "Guess it's just you and me again."

"And me," Zorander hisses, making his voice audible to the humans.

I give him a quizzical look and he smirks, circling the boys who are now looking around in confusion.

"Who said that?" Kyle asks, trying very hard to mask the tremor in his voice. "Do you see anyone?" he whispers to Brandon.

Zorander passes his hands in front of their faces, eliciting shudders from the boys as they pull their jackets tighter around themselves, trying to fend off the sudden onslaught of cold air. "Hello boys," he whispers into their ears.

Kyle grabs Brandon's hand, clinging to him, a cold sweat breaking out on his forehead. "Brandon, did you hear that?" His voice is strained and barely above a whisper.

"Quit messing with us!" Brandon yells, struggling to shake off Kyle's death grip on his hand.

Zorander flashes into their plane of existence, black smoke seeping from the cracks in his skin, disease ridden lips and black eyes which seem to be peering into their souls. Kyle shrieks and cowers behind Brandon. Zorander's lips curve up into a smirk and he appears a short distance away before disappearing and reappearing closer to them.

For a brief moment I consider stopping him, but then I remember that they were the ones who hurt Kai and weren't at all remorseful about it.

"What do you want from us?" Brandon says, his eyes searching the darkness.

Kyle's grip on Brandon's arm tightens. "It doesn't matter what t-that thing wants. L-l-let's get out of here."

"Boo," Zorander whispers, appearing inches away from their faces causing them both to release ear piercing screams and tumble to the ground.

"Don't hurt us," Brandon whimpers, tears gathering in his eyes as he scrambles to his feet.

"Bully anyone or pull any more robberies ever again, and I will hunt you down," Zorander hisses.

Having gotten to their feet, the two boys scamper away, but Zorander appears directly in front of them, scaring them once again. They turn on their heels and take off in the other direction and Zorander again blocks their path.

"We promise," they both whimper simultaneously and Zorander disappears, reappearing next to me while the two boys bolt in the opposite direction, screaming as they flee.

"That was fun!" Zorander exclaims, a contented smile on his face. "Time to scare the other one."

"We'll see," I respond. I'm not necessarily against him scaring Declan, but as his guardian angel, I can't let any harm come to him.

Pulled by the guardian angel bond, I make my way towards Declan, finding him shivering and looking around frantically. "Lance! Lance!" He screams into the night air, searching the shadows for his companion. "Lance, I'm sorry, okay. Can you please stop giving me the silent treatment?"

He runs his hand through his chestnut coloured curls as silent tears flow from his eyes. "I messed up. Not only tonight but with Kai too. I'm such an idiot, how could I do that to Kai?"

Declan collapses onto the cold ground, curling himself into a ball and hugging his knees close to his chest. "I deserve all the terrible things coming to me," he mumbles, clenching a fistful of his hair.

"That's my cue," Zorander grunts, a malicious smirk on his face as he walks towards the boy.

"No." My voice carries a note of finality which halts the demon in his tracks.

He pivots towards me, irritation etched onto his face. "Why?"

I look at the pitiful boy in front of me who is hugging himself with tears streaming down his face and sigh. "He's already miserable and I can feel the same regret oozing off him that I felt the night he watched me heal Kai. He won't do anything like that ever again."."

Zorander sighs but gives a curt nod. "Fine. But I'm still giving Declan detention and before you ask it means that a teacher will keep him after school for an hour or two several days a week. I'll schedule his detention so that he doesn't run into the other two."

That doesn't sound too bad so I nod before turning my attention back to Declan.

"Lance, please talk to me. I promise I'll never ignore you again," Declan whispers, wiping his face with his sleeve.

"I'll go get the ghost," Zorander volunteers, turning into black smoke before I can reply.

Great. I can't leave Declan alone in the middle of a dimly lit side street. If the television is correct, he'll probably be murdered here! And appearing to him at this moment might only scare him more, so I guess I'm stuck lurking around, babysitting this human.

I shiver and zip up my jacket. Couldn't he have had his meltdown someplace warm!

"I should apologise to Kai. Do you think he'd listen to my apology? Lance?" His gaze drifts around him in search of the hollow and when he finds no sign of him he pouts and hugs his knees tighter. "I know you're mad at me, but do you have to give me the silent treatment for so long?"

He releases a mournful whimper, burying his head in his arms. "I don't think I can save my mom. I'm out of options." He sniffles loudy and wipes his face. "No, I'll find something. Maybe I can work out an arrangement to pay-"

I shiver again, getting tired of listening to Declan's mumbles. If I'm going to be spending time with a human, it has to be with my human, no one else. Where is Lance! Why hasn't Zorander sent him!

I place my hand over the tattoo, and release a sigh of relief when I hear Kai saying bye to Lance. A few seconds later the hollow pops up next to me.

"Thanks for keeping him out of trouble!" he exclaims, grinning from ear to ear.

"I didn't." I turn to give Lance a quizzical look. "Does Declan know you're a hollow?"

Lance grimaces and shakes his head. "I'll tell him soon."

I nod and press my hand against the tattoo, transporting myself to Kai's location. Just before I leave, I notice the smile on Declan's face when he sees Lance's ghastly form. I don't know why, I shouldn't care, but all I can picture is the despair on Declan's face when Lance fully transitions into a hollow and leaves him forever.

What did you think of the chapter? Should Raziel have let Zorander scare Brandon and Kyle?

If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote and/ or leave comments! ❤