Chapter 46 - Goodbye Lance

Raziel's POV

Earlier this morning, Lance watched as Declan and Kai made all of his favorite dishes. While they were having fun in the kitchen, Zorander and I spent the morning introducing Gabriel to some of our favourite television shows.

The demon scowled and pretended to hate spending time with us, but he wasn't fooling anyone, not even Gabriel who has taken a liking to teasing him. Now, the six of us are sitting at the dining table and chatting as Lance enjoys his last meal with us before he leaves.

Lance decided that he wanted to become a grim reaper and that gave him only one week with Declan until the two would be separated for six months. They decided to make the most of the week, and he and Declan were inseparable. They went to classes together, ate every meal together and everyday after school they would go on a mini date. Although this chapter of their lives was ending, they both believed that their love was strong enough to survive anything.

"Orientation starts in two hours and you still need to meet with Saphael before it officially starts," Gabriel says.

He gives Declan a potion which will let him keep his memories when Lance is erased from existence and Declan quickly drinks it. I explained to Kai earlier that since he's bonded to me, he won't need a potion and his memories will be protected through our bond.

Lance nods and turns to Kai. "Thank you for everything. You've been the best friend I could have hoped for. Thank you for being so kind to me and I really appreciate you giving Declan a chance. Please take care of him when I'm gone."

"Of course! I'm really happy I met you! As soon as orientation is finished, I'll have Raziel take Declan and I to visit you!" Kai flashes Lance a smile, wiping away the few tears that fall from his eyes. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too." Lance turns towards me and smiles. "Thank you for all your help with Declan and with trying to get me to Heaven. I truly appreciate everything you have done. Take great care of Kai, he's a gem."

I smile. "I will."

Lance eyes the demon at the far end of the table. "You still scare me a little, but you're much nicer than I initially thought. Thank you for trying to help me."

Zorander smirks and Lance's gaze finally fixes on Declan. The two give each other a sad smile and that's enough to bring tears to Lance's eyes.

Declan reaches towards Lance, his hand hovering as close as possible to Lance's face without going through his ghastly form. "Thank you for coming back to me. I don't know how I'll survive the next few months without you, but I'll try."

A tear runs down his cheek and he quickly wipes it away. "I love you, Lance, I think I always have and always will. I'll miss you and I'll be counting down the days until I can see you again. You'll kick ass as a grim reaper. I know it."

"I'll make you proud," Lance says. Smiles spread across their faces as Lance's tears run unfettered down his cheeks. "If I had a do over, I would still come back to you. You mean the world to me. I've cherished every moment that I've had with you, every smile, every touch, every conversation. I love you, Declan, more than anything. I'll be counting down the days until you come see me."

Lance's last few words are whispers as the greenish yellow light which Gabriel is emitting seems to hug Lance and carry him towards the angel. The light engulfs him and he disappears. Gabriel then stands, flaps his wings and disappears from the room.

As soon as they do, Declan whimpers and clutches his chest as the tears he was suppressing finally break free.

Kai rushes over to him and squeezes him into a tight hug. "Six months will fly by, you'll see."