Chapter 24 - A Weak Human

You'll see why I chose this photo in the chapter hehehe ^^

Raziel's POV

I pick up Kai who has been crying uncontrollably for the past seven minutes. His legs instantly wrap around my waist and he buries his head deeper into the crevice of my neck. I can feel his whole body vibrating with his sobs and his tears running down the inside of my shirt.

I rub soothing circles on his back, giving him light kisses ever so often. "I'm here, my sweet human. I'm not going anywhere. It will be alright," I coo in his ear, pressing a kiss to his scalp. I feel his grip tighten around me and I do the same. I realized that my human loves when I hug him tightly, so every time I hug him I make sure to squeeze him close.

As I listen to my Kai weeping, my heart aches for him. I want to take away all of his pain. I want to make him happy. This was a bad idea. I would do anything to make him happy and see his smiling, bubbly face; it's the only thing that I'm sure I can no longer live without. How was my human able to get me to care so much about him in such a short period of time? I've never felt a connection quite like this, and I really don't know how I managed to live so long without him.

Declan opens the door to the restaurant for me to exit and I nod a thank you. "I'm sorry Kai," Declan, who hasn't managed to stop crying since he showed up, whispers as we pass by.

Kai immediately lifts his head when he hears Declan and I am awestruck by how horrifyingly beautiful he is. His cheeks are flushed and tear stained with a red imprint on the right from the zipper of my jacket. His eyes are puffy and he has snot running down his nose.

I reach into my pocket and grab one of the tissues I snagged from the restaurant. I put it by his nose and he blows into the tissue and I wipe it away. I peek at the contents, seeing a few green buggers and scrunch up my nose. I've never seen them before and I couldn't pass up the chance.

I quickly toss the tissue at an unsuspecting Zorander and he lets out a high pitched yelp as the tissue bounces off his forehead and lands on the ground. I chuckle at the look of disgust he throws me before he takes some more tissue out of his pocket and gingerly picks up the booger covered one I threw at him.

Using another napkin, I gently dab at the tears on my snotty human's cheeks. I smile a little as I realize that even though my shirt is damp and covered in his boogers, I really don't mind taking care of my human.

"What did you ask my dad to help you with?" Kai says, subconsciously tightening his grip on my jacket. I quickly pocket the napkin and again start rubbing circles on his back which seems to relax him a little.

"No, I can figure it out on my own," Declan mumbles, not looking Kai in the eyes.

Kai releases his legs from around my waist and I carefully set him on his feet. I watch my human take a shaky breath before he moves closer to Declan. I follow him just so that Kai doesn't feel like he's alone.

"Tell me what you wanted help with," Kai demands icily, ignoring the tears that are once again rolling down his face.

Declan flinches at his tone. I know first hand how awful it feels to be on the receiving end of that tone. "I didn't mean to upset you even more, I shouldn't have come here, please forget about everything," Declan mumbles.

Kai crosses his arms and glares at Declan. "If you were at all serious about your apology then you better tell me right now."

I hear a crunch and look over to see Zorander eating a bag of Sour Cream and Onion chips while watching the brothers with an amused smirk. Where did he even get chips? I'm torn between wanting to eat some of his chips and not wanting to leave Kai alone, even though technically he doesn't need me right now. I suppress a sigh and drag my eyes away from the delicious looking chips that Zorander is devouring. My human comes first.

Declan sighs finally realizing that there is very little point arguing with Kai. "My mom is sick and I can't afford the medical bills," he mumbles, clawing at the wetness leaking from his orbs.

My eyes widen as I watch my human reach out and hug Declan. Even Zorander temporarily stops munching on his chips.

I don't understand how Kai can be so kind and forgiving. I thought all humans were selfish and never went out of their way to help each other. I thought that they were weak and pathetic but Kai is the contradiction to all I think I know about humanity.

A weak human wouldn't have been able to sit down and face their bully. A weak human definitely wouldn't be able to demand answers from said bully. And a weak human without a doubt would have had some sort of mental break from all the rapid changes that Kai has gone through over the past few days.

"I'm so sorry our dad didn't help you. More than his affair, I'm sorry that he didn't help," Kai sobs, still hugging Declan who looks like a scared goldfish.

Declan very hesitantly lifts his hands and wraps them around Kai. A small part of me really doesn't want Declan to hug my human but I try to drill into my head the fact that this is an emotional moment and Declan is his estranged brother.

"I'm sorry too Kai. I didn't intend to mess up your relationship with your father. I'm really sorry," Declan says, hugging my Kai tightly.

I hear an additional set of sniffles coming from behind me and turn around to find Lance in tears as he watches them.

"It's okay and of course I'll pay for your mom's medical bills. I have no doubt that if my mom was alive she would have wanted me to help." Kai pulls away and smiles at Declan who returns his smile.

"I can find another way. I don't deserve your help," Declan instantly responds.

Kai takes the tissue that I'm holding out to him and dries his face. "Nonsense! I want to help, you're family! But can we talk on the way to the hospital? It's cold," Kai says with a huge smile but it quickly vanishes. "Or if you don't want me to be that involved, just give me your banking details and I'll send you a wire transfer for the amount of money you need."

"You should definitely meet my mom!" Declan exclaims, smiling brightly. "And thank you for helping. I still don't think I deserve it but I'm very grateful." His green eyes sparkle with relief and happiness and a weight seems to have been lifted off him.

"This is the first time I've seen him smile like that in a really long time," Lance whispers.

Kai returns Declan's smile and my heart flutters at how truly breathtaking it is. "I'm happy to help, just no more bullying okay?"

"I promise. Never again. That's not the type of person I want to be." I can hear the sincerity in Declan's voice and see the resolve in his eyes that he will definitely try to be a better person.

Kai's ecstatic smile at Declan's promise causes a wide smile to spread across my face.

"That's great!" Zorander says enthusiastically and I raise an eyebrow at him. "But for your misbehaviour, you will have detention two days a week for the next month," Zorander snarls and chuckles just before he shoves another chip into his mouth.

Declan sulks a little but reluctantly nods. "That's more than fair."

I edge closer to the demon and stick my hand into his bag of chips and smile triumphantly when I pull out a handful. Kai giggles at this and walks towards me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Aaah," Kai says, opening his mouth for me to give him some of my precious, stolen chips. I pop two chips into his mouth and my human smiles around the chips in his mouth and I can't help but coo at how adorable he is. I kiss the tip of his nose and he giggles, chomping away at the chips in his mouth.

"My human's nose is cold. We've been standing outside in the cold for too long. Let's go." Once I'm finished talking, I peck my human on the cheek then shove some chips into my mouth before we all head towards Kai's car and set off to the hospital.

What did you think of the chapter? And Zorander's reaction? What do you think Declan's mom will say when she meets Kai?

If you enjoyed the chapter, don't forget to vote and/ or leave comments! ❤