Chapter 38 - Anything At All

Kai's POV

I rush to Raziel's side while Mel slips from my neck and slithers over to Zorander. "Raz! What happened! Are you okay?"

His skin has a sickly yellowish cast, yet his bloodshot dark brown eyes seem to be trying to tell me not to worry. Every wheeze and cough that spills from his lips is like a punch in the gut, and my hands flitter over him as he clutches his chest.

"What happened?" My voice is strained and barely above a whisper. A whimper escapes me when I hear nothing but coughs in response. "I'll get you some water."

I scamper to my feet and out of the room, returning moments later with two glasses of water. After giving a glass to Zorander, I rush to Raziel's side. I wipe his mouth and help him sit upright so that he can drink.

"Kai, I'm okay." Raziel offers me a weak smile before a fit of coughs attack him.

"You can't go back to Hell."

"I'm okay."

"You haven't stopped coughing!" I glare at him as he tries to suppress another cough. It finally slips past his lips, shattering the thick wall silence building around us. "You said it would be harder once you take Lance with you. If this was just the trial run and you're like this..."

I can't bear to see him hurt.

Raziel's lips curve up into a smile but it doesn't reach his eyes. "I should be alright in a few hours. Don't worry."

"Is there really no other way?" Just the thought of him having to go through pain like this again has my stomach churning.

He gives me a sad smile but makes no further attempt to respond.

Silence falls upon us like a humourless joke at a funeral. I was worried about their plan before, but now, I'm even more worried. Zorander has already started to recover, but Raziel still looks sick and vulnerable. Still, without this plan Lance would wither away into nothingness, and I couldn't let that happen either.

A still wheezing Raziel opens his arms to me, and I sigh and crawl onto his lap. He buries his face in my neck and my hand taps his back in a calming motion.

My eyes follow Zorander as he mops up the gross goop that spilled from Raziel's stomach earlier. He then sprays and wipes the floor before dredging up the tarp. As he exits the room, he calls over his shoulder, "They're new toothbrushes under the sink in the bathroom."

I nod and Raziel murmurs a thank you, giving me a whiff of his pungent breath. Nonetheless, we stay cuddled in each other's arms for a few more minutes.

Once Zorander is finished cleaning and Raziel has brushed his teeth, Zorander begins putting all of his furniture back into its rightful place. He declines my offer to help, and Raziel is still feeling too under the weather to be of any assistance. Instead, the two of us stay on the couch; Raziel with his eyes closed and head resting in my lap and me, gently massaging his temples.

Mel, who has been quietly curled up in the corner since their return, moves towards us, slithering over Raziel's legs and coming to a stop on his chest.

"Raziel, former head warrior of Heaven." He squints his eyes open and gives Mel a lazy smile. "Nice to meet you too." He yawns and closes his eyes before gently petting Mel with one hand.

"Why haven't we met Mel before?" I ask Zorander.

He smirks. "Well I can't have you thinking I'm a good demon." I giggle and roll my eyes in response and his smirk turns into a smile.

Zorander, Mel and I chat for a while; they tell me stories of their time in Hell and their earlier years on earth while Raziel falls asleep on my lap.