Chapter 49 - The Garden

This chapter picks up after the chapter which was previously called "Bonus Chapter - Welcome to Heaven". That chapter now fits into the plot at Chapter 48.

Hope you enjoy the chapter! ❤

Raziel's POV

I kiss Kai goodbye and make my way to God's castle where he and a small staff of angels reside.

The crystal exterior of God's palace stretches up into the sky caressing the fluffy, pastel coloured clouds above. The clouds fade into each other creating multi-coloured shapes of the animals of earth. A white light shines around the palace like a halo making the crystal palace appear white in colour. Golden doors and window sills complete the palace's extravagant look as it perches on the edge of a refreshing waterfall.

Acting on instinct, I try to flap my wings before it registers that I don't have them. I take a deep breath, reminding myself that I should be getting them back soon before resorting to the other way of getting up to the palace.

I focus on the feeling of rising and a bubble encloses me, carrying me to the golden double doors. It seems as if I am being expected because the two angels sitting at the entrance grin and wave me in.

A long hallway with vibrant ceiling to floor murals on both sides leads me to God's chambers. My finger runs along a vine that winds along the entirety of the wall before I come to a stop outside of a white door with rose gold trimmings.

Before I can knock, the door flies open and I step inside. High ceilings, with flowers of all the colours of the rainbow hanging from the roof, greet me. My winter boots tap against the spotless marble floor as I approach God's throne.

God flicks His wrist and the few angels that were in His company exit the room. I continue my approach until I'm only a few feet away from the throne.

I kneel before Him with my head bowed. When He's silent for a few seconds too long I peek up at Him and am surprised when I find a smile on His face.

"Rise," he commands and I stand. "What is it you want?"

I take a deep breath and fully meet His gaze. He has every eye colour imaginable yet none. His skin and hair are the same; they present themselves as all the complexions and colours to exist, yet seem to be nothing at all. His appearance is a true paradox and this is how angels see him. But to humans, he appears as whatever suits them; from a ninety year old woman or a little girl to a businessman. He has appeared to humans in all of those forms and more.

"I want to apologise for breaking into that room. As much as I disliked humans at the time, I would never have harmed them, not like that. I am truly sorry. I didn't realise the beauty of human souls. I overlooked their complexity and for that I am truly sorry."

"Do you think you deserve to have your wings returned to you?"

"I don't know, but I do know that if I get them back I will never take life for granted again. I won't return to my habits of pranking and sneaking into places I shouldn't be. That life is behind me."

A smile spreads across God's face. "Very well."

He raises His hand and a pink ball of light appears in His palm. I have to force myself to remain still and not rush forward and grab the ball of light that is my wings. A smile spreads across my face as the light comes towards me and settles on my back.

Warmth spreads over me as soon as the light brushes against my skin. My eyes flutter closed as I soak up the comfort and promised return of my wings. I feel the moment the light is absorbed into my body. A feather emerges from my back, followed by another and another, until my wings are full sized and bursting out of my winter jacket.