Chapter 43 - Date Night

Raziel's POV

Zorander glares at me. "What did you do!"

He did nothing, Melkopnius hisses from inside the pod.

I spent the whole morning sitting by Melkopnius' side as they tried to digest the book. Zorander went into work this morning but took the rest of the day and the next two weeks off when I informed him of Melkopnius' condition over the phone. He didn't even bat an eye at the bag of scales I left on his bed, but he flew into a fit of rage when he saw Melkopnius' weakened state.

Massster, I will sssurvive. I did not die in the visssion.

This seems to calm Zorander and he takes a deep breath. "Okay. If you need anything, I'll be here." He gestures for me to follow him outside and I do. "Can't you heal them?"

"I tried."

"That book better have been worth it," he snarls, and I nod and give him a sad smile. He sighs. "Go home. You look like shit."

I huff but I feel the exhaustion that I've been keeping at bay starting to creep back in. "Melkopnius will be alright."

I didn't know this with certainty, but both God and Satan know how dangerous this book is so I have to believe that if this is the way to destroy it, they will help somehow. My words seem to reassure Zorander and his lips quirk at the sides.

"About tricking you in-"

"It's okay. I would have done the same. It was disgusting."

Zorander smirks and I smile and pat his back before heading out to the Uber he called for me a few minutes ago. On the drive home, I place my hand over the tattoo and hear Kai telling Milan how much he missed waking up in my arms this morning. I stop listening when Milan starts talking about her hooking up with Ayaan; the two got together after the party at Jax's house.

Once I arrive, I head straight for the bedroom and curl up under the covers. I wake up a few hours later, shower and head to Kai's school, waiting next to his turquoise car once I arrive.

I don't have to wait long because soon Kai is jumping into my arms and crashing his lips into mine.

"You're here!" He giggles and pecks my lips. "I missed you! Do you want to go on a date?"

"Yes!"

Kai squeals and pecks my lips again. We have a short conversation with Milan and Ayaan, then get into the car and set off.

"I think you'll really like Korean barbecue! I heard your stomach when we were talking earlier, so we're going to an all you can eat one! What did you eat today?"

The mere mention of food has my mouth watering and my stomach rumbling; I pout. "I didn't."

Kai gasps and speeds up a little as we listen to music for the rest of the drive to the restaurant.

The sweet aroma of sizzling pork and beef wafts into my nose as soon as we enter the restaurant. We are seated near the window and we can see the pedestrians trudging through the grey sludge that was once fluffy, white snow.

Overhead, yellowish lights give the restaurant a warm glow and distant laughs and chatter fills the air. Kai takes a sip from the glass of water in front of him and he asks about Melkopnius and how things went with the book while we wait for the server to bring our order.

My eyes widen when they bring us raw food, but Kai giggles and uses two tiny sticks to transfer a few pieces of meat to what I now realise is a circular grill embedded into the table. Kai teaches me how to use the two sticks, which he called chopsticks, and we talk more about our days.