0.7

»»»

Seokjin was standing in the entrance hall like a lost puppy.
Not exactly knowing if he should wait for someone to greet him or if he should just follow the other people in suits and fancy dresses heading to further inside. He assumed the main lounge area as loud chatting and laughing was coming from there.

He really didn't want to be there. He hated loud, crowded places more than anything. His introverted self really shining through in situations like this. It had only been a few minutes and he already felt uncomfortable in that ridiculously big urban villa in the middle of Park Slope -one of the places the richy rich people of New York seemed to prefer. At least it seemed so when he saw the houses and cars in that area.

Obviously he had also seen and lived in pretty wealthy areas in his life - but he had never seen an actual mansion in the middle of a city. It rather looked like a modern, miniature castle from outside.

His thoughts revolved around just leaving and having made a promise to his father. So with a dragged sigh, he followed the direction of the loud chatter and noises. The place everyone else was disappearing to.

Having assumed correctly, he entered a big lounge area. A crystal chandelier hanging over the heads of middle-aged rich people, who were filling up the tiniest space. Laughing at each other with their champagne glasses in one hand and niblets in the other.

Seokjin had to admit to himself that this wasn't exactly what he had expected. Neither had he found himself in a similar situation before and he felt quite overwhelmed in that moment. He swallowed hard. His fingers gliding through his hair, forgetting he had neatly combed it back. Wondering if his dad ever made his brother attend such parties. 

Calm down, he told himself then, just greet dad's friend to show that you came and then leave.

It sounded easier than it really was though. Especially since he had no damn clue how this friend even looked like.
So until finding out, he decided to just maintain a low profile and stay somewhere in a corner. Avoiding to talk to any of those strangers at all costs. Not that he would run away in panic if someone did speak to him, but he really wasn't in the mood to fake-laugh and pretend he would understand what they were talking about.

Time passed while observing those strangers and he decided to at least make use of the situation by grabbing something to eat. Even though the food wasn't exactly food but just small portions. He would have rather called them snacks if anything.
Mentally making a note to instantly go and grab a burger or kimchi stew after escaping this place -if his favorite Korean restaurant in uptown was still open.

He started mingling through the crowd then, hoping to hear someone call this friend's name somewhere, so he could finally greet him and leave already.
However, that idea was quickly dismissed as he had managed to go from one side of the room to another and he was still as clueless as before. Now standing between a large staircase and some expensive looking painting of naked people.

"May I get your attention, please?" A short Korean man, probably in his 60s, suddenly declared from the side. Standing on a small, one foot tall stage. He was grinning into the microphone, holding up a champagne glass. The crowd suddenly going quiet. Even the group of silver-haired men who had been obnoxiously loudly laughing on the opposite side of the room.

"First of all, I wanted to thank you all, my friends, relatives and business partners, for joining me tonight in my modest home." 

The boy pursed his lips, biting back a laugh. Modest home? Where?

"Today is a very special day for me as you all know. Today marks the 40th anniversary of my company starting off on the Wall Street. Forty-five years since I came here to the States. A simple Korean boy, freshly out of university, who came here and made his dream come true."

The crowd applauded. Seokjin quickly pushing himself off the wall and joining them. Finally knowing who his father's friend was, so he could easily proceed with his initial plan now.

"However, I'd like to thank all of you for your support and love. Especially my wife, Jennifer, who's been supporting me since the beginning.. Come, come. Don't be shy," he laughed then and waved to somewhere in the crowd. A little later a woman around his age joined him on the small stage. The crowd cheering once again. The woman clearly being embarrassed. "And of course my two beautiful daughters, Jessica and Michelle. Jessica even having gifted us with a grandson recently."

Another round of applause began as a young woman stepped on the stage as well. Joining the man and the woman.

His dad's friend then covered the microphone, leaning towards his wife and daughter. Whispering something to them. The expression in his face changed slightly. He was clearly trying his best not to show that whatever they told him, upset him.
"I hope you can excuse my daughter Michelle for being late. There had been a small issue with her dress apparently -you know how women are," he laughed. Seokjin instantly knowing it was a fake laugh though.

"I'm here, I'm here!" someone yelled then from upstairs. Footsteps being heard on the staircase above him as someone in a long dark blue dress rushed it down. Everyone's eyes shooting up, laying on the person who was quickly making her way through the crowd and up to the stage. Not seeming apologetic or embarrassed at all for making the guests wait and even whisper to each other. Probably frowning upon her.

Seokjin chuckled quietly, finding the whole situation quite amusing. His eyes following the top of her head among the guests who were stepping aside, making space for her. Eventually reaching the stage, she joined her family on it. Her dark pink lips spread into a wide grin.
And Seokjin froze. This smile. His lips parted. Those long, dark waves.

"Now that Michelle is also here, I may continue," the older man said. He shortly coughed, facing the crowd again. "Once again I thank you my dear guests for coming tonight. It means a lot to celebrate such an important date with everyone. I remember how I met each of you. Yes, even you, Baker! You still owe me twenty bucks from that night!" He laughed, making the crowd laugh along with him. "Anyway, enjoy yourself and have a nice evening!"
A loud wave of cheers rolled over the room. The crowd clapping enthusiastically as the host stepped down from the small stage, along with his family members. 

Except for Seokjin whose eyes were fixed on the woman with the blue dress. Carefully leaving the stage, not to step over the expensive fabric. Her father had called her Michelle, however, it had to be her. He would recognize those pretty brown eyes and wide grin with the puffy cheeks anywhere.

It was Yongsun.

»»»