Chapter 3

Morning came. I sat up and Newt wasn't there anymore. I looked around quickly and saw Gally by the kitchen. I walked over to him and put my hands on his shoulders. He turned around quickly. "Good morning Greenie," he said.

"Good morning, crackhead," I said. He punched me playfully on the shoulder. "Sleep well?" I asked. He smiled.

"Yeah, not bad, what about you?" He asked. I smiled.

"A little cold but I was fine." I said, "Oh, before I forget," I took off his jacket and gave it back to him, "Here." He took it and tied it around his waist. "What's for breakfast?" I asked.

"Frypan?" Shouted Gally. A small black boy came round the corner, "Get Greenie here some food." He said. I nudged him in the rib.

"Please," I said to Frypan with a smile. He smiled back. He handed me a plate of bacon and bread. "Thank you." I sat down with Gally and started eating. "Newt seems nice," I said. Gally looked at me confused.

"When did you meet Newt?" He asked.

"Last night. He came and sat with me, talked about the stars for a while then I fell asleep." I said. Gally's face hardened.

"Did he make a move on you?" He asked. I laughed and shook my head. "Good." He said.

"Why would he?" I asked.

"Look at yourself, Greenie. Your beautiful." He said.

"Did you just hit on me?" I asked.

"No, you're like my little sister." He said, "I see myself in you. I was like you when I came up here." He said. I smiled.

"Thanks for that," I said. A loud grumble cut me off. "What was that?" I asked.

"The maze. The runners are leaving to map it out soon." He said. I nodded and continued eating my breakfast. When I finished I walked back over to the kitchen and gave Frypan my plate.

"Thank you Frypan. It was delicious." I said. He smiled.

"Your welcome, Greenie." He said. I walked back over to Gally.

"Why does everyone call me that?" I asked.

"Because we call the new gladers Greenie." He said. I thought about it for a moment then smiled.

"I like it," I said.

"Great, let's go you start your job trials today." He said.

"Well come on then!" I shouted before running towards the Gardens. We walked in and Newt was stood there waiting for me. "Hi there," I said

"Hi, Y/n, I have questions to ask you." Said Newt

"Go ahead," I said. He smiled.

"What do you use to plant a potato?" Asked Newt.

"Fertiliser and a Trowel," I said. He nodded.

"Pull out the weeds?" He Asked.

"Grabby the bottom and pull the roots out," I said. He nodded then walked away. "Is that it?" I asked.

"Yeah, you can start but pull out the weeds on the potato patch," Said Newt. I turned and walked out to the potato Gardens and started to pull out the weeds.

•••

Lunchtime came and Zart said I can go get something to eat. I said my thanks and walked over to the kitchens. I saw Gally and a couple of builders sat at a bench. I smiled at Gally and walked over to Frypan.

"Hey, Fry!" I said cheerfully. He turned around from the chopping board and smiled.

"Hey, Greenie," He said back. I started fanning myself with my hand.

"Is it always this hot here?" I asked. He smiled and nodded.

"Unfortunately so," he said, "But it's probably worse for you, you've been in the gardens all morning, it's only going to get hotter." He said. I groaned. He laughed. "You could always take your overshirt off." He shrugged.

I looked down at my shirt and shrugged. Fry passed me a try of food and I went to find a table. I walked past Gally but he put his hand out to stop me. "Come sit with us, meet the big boys." He said. I let out a chuckle.

"Ok then, since you asked so nicely." I teased. The other builders laughed. I sat opposite Gally and next to a brown-haired boy.

"Greenie, this is Alec and Mason." He said. I looked at the boy next to me, Mason, and shook his hand. At the touch, his voice popped in the back of my head.

'God, she's hot!' He said

"Hi, I'm Y/n," I said. Gally looked at me surprised. "What?" I asked with a smile. He shrugged.

"Nothing," He said. During lunch, I got to know Alec and Mason a lot more. They were nice. I became good friends with Gally and Mason.

I saw Zart in the gardens looking for me. I stood up and cleared my throat. "I should go before I get scolded for taking too long," I said. I suppressed a giggle then ran as fast I could to Zart. "What next?" I asked. He smiled.

"The corn needs picking and watering, off you go." He said. I nodded in acknowledgement and skipped off to pick the corn.

It was nearly dinnertime and I had taken off my overshirt. I was aware that people could see my bra but it's better than being too hot. I started singing quietly to myself.

"We live in cities, you'll never see on screens. Not very pretty but we sure know how to run things. Living in ruins of a palace within my dreams, and we know, we're on each other teams." I heard someone being me clear their throat. I turned around and saw Newt. I smiled and stood up pulling my over shirt back over my head.

"You're done for the day, you're in the Kitchens tomorrow." He said. I smiled and walked over to the kitchen for dinner. I got my plate from Fry and sat with Gally, Mason and Alec again.

"Hey there beautiful," said Mason. I blushed slightly.

•••

We finished eating and I left to go to the place where I slept last night. Today was fun, I couldn't wait to get into the kitchens. I smiled at the thought and drifted slowly off to sleep.