Chapter 16

We did it. We were out. We walked out into a lamp-lit hallway. We walked down to the left and stopped at a door. A sign was on the top of the door. A large green flashing sign. It said Exit. I looked at Thomas. "Really?" Asked Frypan. I looked at him and smiled. I walked forward and pushed the door open.

Bodies were scattered everywhere. All dead. We walked through and saw a room full of smashed screens. "They've been watching us!" Said Newt. I saw Thomas walking towards a red button. He pressed it. A screen turned on in front of us.

"Hello," Said a woman's voice. "My name is Dr Ava Paige. I'm the Director of Operations of the World in Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department, If your watching this that means you have completed the maze trials. I wish I could be there to congratulate you in person but circumstances seem to have prevented it. I'm sure by now you must all be confused, angry, frightened." Everyone scoffed.

"I can only assure you, that everything that has happened to you, everything we've done to you. It was all done for a reason. You won't remember, but the sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire, famine. Suffering on a global scale. The fallout was unimaginable. What came after was worse. We called it the flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain." She continued. Pictures of the world and flames came on the screen.

"It is violent, unpredictable, incurable, or so we thought. In time a new generation emerged, that could survive the virus. Suddenly there was a reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed inside harsh environments, where their brain activity could be studied." Thomas looked around. His eyes landed on me. I smiled weakly.

"All that makes them different. What makes you different. You may not realise it but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just started, as you'll no doubt soon discover. Not everyone agrees with our methods, progress is slow. People are scared. It may be too late for us, for me, but not for you. The outside world awaits. Remember, WICKED is good." She pulled out a gun and put it to her head. Everyone looked away. Everyone but me.

I watched her pull the trigger but not because I wanted to. Because I couldn't move. I felt a sharp pain in my back. I turned around and saw Gally stood there with his arm around my neck. He had been stung. "We can't escape this place." He said. Everyone turned around and looked at us. I caught Newt's eye and a tear fell down my face. Gally had a gun pointed at Thomas. "I belong to the maze. We all do." 

He cocked the gun and pointed it at Thomas. I saw Minho grab a spear from Frypan and Newt did too. I heard him cock the gun again. "Gally, listen to me," I whispered. "You've been stung, I have some griever serum in my bag I can give you. Please put the gun down." I said. I put my hand on his arm and he loosened his grip. I slid out and looked at him. "Put the gun down," I said.

He handed me the gun. "Good," I said softly. He placed it in my hand and pulled the trigger. The bullet went through my arm. I fell to the ground in pain.

"GREENIE!" Shouted Newt. I heard a gunshot followed by a body dropping to the floor. I looked over and Gally was played on the floor with a spear through his chest. A group of men came running in and took the others out of the building leaving me and Gally.