Chapter 9

I left the gardens and walked towards the maze doors to wait for Minho to come back. I played down and looked at the clouds. My father was out there somewhere. I had to get out of here for her. I heard footsteps coming towards me. I smiled when I saw Minho's head looking down at me. "Where's the Shank? Killed him already." He asked. I stood up and punched him playfully on the arm.

"No thanks to you," I said he looked at me offended.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked.

"You know I love you, but you can't go round making me mad just to see what I would do to the new Shank," I said. I saw his smile broaden. I slapped my head when I realised what I said.

"Aww, I love you too." He said. With that, he picked me up and ran with me over his shoulder. I started screaming and kicking my legs.

"MINHO!" I shouted. He put me down and started tickling me. "MINHO! STOP, PLEASE!" I shouted, out of breath. He laughed and stopped tickling me. I sat up and saw Newt looking at us. I stood up and brushed the dust off me.

"What's wrong, Greenie?" Minho asked. I looked from him to Newt then to the floor. "Ohhh," Newt and I weren't official, due to Alby's rules of no dating in the glade, but everyone knew I was with him. They see the way he looks at me, the way I look at him. Love they say, They could be right.

I looked over the glade. I saw the boys sat around the firepit laughing. I smiled. I felt like the mother of the group like I had responsibility. I loved them all equally. Some a little more than others. They were my brothers. The only people I remember since coming up here, apart from Thomas.

I didn't know if he was real or just a figment of my imagination, but he felt real. He felt like I knew him. And the Greenie felt familiar. I didn't get a good look at him though.

Lunchtime came and I walked over to the kitchen. "You have a gift, Fry," I said. He blushed slightly. I laughed. "Thank you, Shank!" I shouted while walking away. I sat down by the firepit and started eating. I looked around for a second and saw Newt with the new shank. I laughed to myself. He's probably telling him about me. He always tells the Newbies about me.

N E W T ' S P O V :

"What is the deal with Y/n?" He asked. I looked at him shocked. "It's like your all scared of her sometimes."

"Don't let her catch you saying that," I said, laughing. "She's the only girl, She has several different moods. Somedays she will be loving and caring and others she will be scary." I said.

"She's very gorgeous." He said. He looked at her. She was sat down by the firepit eating a plate of bacon with Chuck.

"Yeah, she is. She Is also very mine." I said. A pit in my stomach came when I thought about her. I loved her. Fully. "You need to earn her trust, show her you don't want to hurt her," I said.

"I want to be her friend. How do I do it?" He asked. I looked at him and laughed.

"She's best friends with Gally. She's like his younger sister. You need to ask him, not me. I became friends with her because I laid next to her on a night and she fell asleep in my arms." I said. I smiled at the memory. I loved that night. "If you lay next to her on a night she will tell you about the stars," I said. He smiled.

"Newt?" He asked. I looked at him.

"Yeah?"

"Do you love her?" He asked. I looked at him and then at the floor.

"Yeah," I said slowly, "Now come on you need to get some fertiliser for us. It's in the middle of the forest." I said. I handed him a bucket and we walked towards the gardens. Thomas was a good kid, just scared.