A Good Person

"What are you doing? "

"Pancakes. "

"Why?"

"Why not? "

...

Well, yes. I've had more interesting conversations than this one so far. But since I was alone in the kitchen with Rose; her having her... third cup of tea? She'd made a whole pot of tea anyway; and me making pancake batter, it was really the most relaxed conversation we could have here.

I could feel the pressure of her stare on my neck, and she was probably harsh on me. We were both ready to unleash our worst remarks, which were covered with a venom that made it even more painful. It was thankfully unspoken for both of us that the kitchen was a place of tranquillity and rest; and that any fight was grounds for banishment by the Tardis itself. Food and meals were no joke, especially when I was the one who prepared the majority of the meals we ate here.

Rose couldn't cook for shit and the Doctor had been banned from cooking since he tried to improve my salmon and spinach lasagna by adding some chocolate. Luckily it was only leftovers, but what little was left ended up in the bin.

"Hello girls! " greeted the Doctor cheerfully as he entered the kitchen.

"Yo," I replied simply, cracking the shell of an egg before separating the white from the yolk.

"Hi Doctor."

"Ooh, what are you up to, Alvia?" asked the Doctor as he came closer, almost pressing up against my back.

"Pancakes. "I replied briefly, mixing the egg with the rest of the batter. "A few more minutes and I can begin baking. "

The Doctor tried to dip a finger into the batter to have a taste, but when I caught a glimpse of his hands, I immediately stopped him in his goal.

"Doctor, no. "I growled, turning slightly to look at him.

He was wearing his glasses, the ones that made his look even sexier than usual. He only wore his glasses when he was reading, on rare occasions during our adventures or when he was doing some maintenance in the Tardis. In this instance he had done some repairs, which I suspected were not needed, and his hands were covered with soot and motor oil. I wonder if he really needed those glasses, after all, wasn't he a Time Lord, a biologically superior being compared to a mere human? Anyway, I learned better than questioning the Doctor's taste in fashion or even food. When you are wearing a piece of celery on your lapel you don't judge the taste of the others.

"You don't dip your dirty hands in my dough. "

"I just want a taste! " sulked the Doctor.

"Not with those hands! "

I pushed the Doctor back with my elbow a little roughly but not enough to hurt him. Forced to step back, the Doctor went to the sink to clean his hands as I finished to prepare the paste. Once all the ingredients were incorporated and mixed, the batter having the perfect texture, I turned on the griddle and rubbed some oil against the pancake pan with a piece of paper cloth. When the pan became hot, I poured three times some batter on it. And so, for about fifteen minutes I was busy baking my pancakes, patting the Doctor's hand as he moved from time to time towards the warm, appetising mound just waiting to be devoured.

"Ta-ta-ta, Doctor! I haven't finished baking them. You'll wait like everyone else. "

The Doctor made a sort of whimpering noise that undoubtedly reminded me of a puppy needing love and attention, and sat down beside Rose, pouring himself a cup of tea, pouting.

"You're a Time Lord, you'd think you could wait at least a few minutes. " laughed Rose after a sip of her cooling tea.

I giggled lightly as the Doctor argued back and forth with Rose and disagreed with her. Whilst they both bickered, I took the opportunity to finish cooking the remaining pancakes on the pan. I could understand the Doctor's impatience to eat them, the smell made my mouth water and I couldn't wait to eat them.