The Long Game

I was leaning against the console waiting for the Doctor. My coat lay quietly on the railing. Legs stretched, arms crossed and eyes fixed on the ceiling. I waited a few minutes before hearing the doctor's heavy steps against the metal floor, so I smiled and turned my head towards the source of the noise.

"So, where do you want to go?

"I have all of time and space in my hands, it's a lot to choose from."

"Past, present, or future?"

"Surprise me! ...Future!"

He started to drive the TARDIS and asked me to clear the console when I hampered his passage.

I rolled my eyes, but I didn't complain any more than that. The crossing through the Time Vortex was a little chaotic but not any worse than that; at least I didn't end up on the ground.

When we finally arrived, I put on my coat, making a move, not unlike the Doctor's, that would've qualified as dramatic. As soon as I stepped outside, I was invaded by a strong heat wave.

"Wow... someone likes to be hot here. "

The place vibrated under my feet and everything seemed futuristic... yet familiar. Not a soul was alive here, though.

The Doctor fumbled in his pocket and handed me something; a key. I took it and stared at it.

"TARDIS key. Don't lose it."

"I won't. "

I removed my necklace (which was just a simple chain with a ring too big for me) and I slid on my key as a new pendant. I put my necklace under my shirt and felt a pleasant warmth appear and disappear immediately.

The Doctor took my hand and we headed for a door closed by a fence. On the other side, you could see a window. I opened the fence and climbed some stairs before arriving at an observation platform. In front of me, the planet Earth was displayed proudly, though it wasn't as blue as I remembered.

"We are around the year 200,000, it's the fourth great and bountiful human empire. In front of you is the Earth at it's height. Covered with mega-cities, five moons and population of 96 billion. The hub of a galactic domain, stretching across a million planets, a million species with mankind right in the middle.

"It's... it's... wait. Five moons? How can the Earth have five moons?"

"Four of them are artificially created moons but are exact copies of the moon you know. Just a piece of rock that grew up in orbit around a planet."

"In my world, I was taught that the moon was a piece of earth that had been torn off as it collided with her twin Theia. This massive collision provoked the inclination of the Earth and the orbiting of the piece which rounds out as time, speed and its orbit around the Earth. "

He looked at me surprised.

"More I learn about you and your world, more surprised I get. You seem to know a lot." He smiles at me.

"I like everything related to space and my planet." I laughed, running my hand through my hair, slightly embarrassed by my knowledge. "The theory of the real Void, Black holes... in my world we've just, for the first time, seen a black hole. The universe is fascinating, and that's what I like. I like to learn more about the reality in which I live and breathe."

"I can tell." he said. "Your eyes shine with curiosity and passion when you talk about it. And what you say is interesting because it shows the difference between this universe and yours. But this is a conversation for later. " He turned around and we went back to the previous room. "You're gonna love this fantastic period of history. The human race is at its highest in culture, art, and politics. The food is refined, and the people have good manners..."