The End of an Era

How could we have come to this? How did all of this turn into a nightmare?

We have all underestimated the cube, myself included; we have all underestimated the danger of the being that had taken on the appearance of my Grandpa. We also underestimated its power of persuasion and, above all, we underestimated how powerful its manipulation was. Was she being manipulated so easily? Was she so broken at the time to abandon herself to the cube? Have I really felt such intense despair and such a strong desire to return home that I would have done anything to get it back?

The answer was yes.

I couldn't admit it, I couldn't face the truth. This truth I lived and forgot to repeat it later with horror.

I felt sick. My stomach was viciously twisting in reaction to this horrific acquaintance; I wanted to vomit, but it wasn't a good time. It wasn't the time to stop, not while we were trying to hide ourselves as best, we could in this huge ruined city filled with guards all ready to find us, catch us and... I don't know what might follow but I can only guess it wasn't a good thing for us. Definitely not tea, biscuits and hugs. Only after many minutes we finally found a place to hide.

I put one hand over my mouth, closing my eyes as I forced myself to breathe through my nose as I held on to a crumbly stone.

"Don't you vomit, Alvia!" Jack grumbled as he laid my Doctor's unconscious body he carried on his back to the ground. "It's really not the time to be sick."

"Not sick..." I stuttered as I fell to the ground, back against the stone.

Jack glanced at me and replied sarcastically.

"You could have fooled me."

"Jack," called the Doctor, dropping Rose's hand. "That's enough."

"Jack is right a bit," intervened Rose. "We already have this unconscious Doctor, there's no need to add another problem alongside all those we have."

"I understood the first time! "I hissed at Rose as I glanced at her with a dark gaze. "No need to drive the nail in! I know we're in big trouble!"

"Really? Because since we've met you, you haven't really done anything good! This situation would not have existed if only you had made the slightest effort."

"For fuck's sake Rose! How many times do I have to repeat I don't remember anything about what happened?! And stopping this thing to happen only creates a fucking paradox and that's really the last thing we want to do!! "

"Alvia's right, everything that happens here had to and must take place. It couldn't be stopped," added the Doctor.

"Is this... A fixed point? "I asked hesitantly.

"No," replied the doctor to my greatest relief. "But it's something big enough to make the Reapers or worse appear in case of a paradox. "

"So, leaving isn't really an option." Deduce Jack by taking a look at me.

"Great..." snarled Rose, displeased, crossing her arms and rolling her eyes.

"Even if we had the opportunity to leave, we wouldn't do it. We can't leave our Alvia here, we have to save her."

I gave the Doctor a grateful smile.

"Save her?! " shouted Rose furiously, lowering her arms before pointing at me. "Have you forgotten she's gone to the enemy side? She abandoned you for power and above all she tried to kill you?! Leave her to her fate as she did with you!"

"No way! " refutes the Doctor, outraged by his blonde companion. "I can't believe you are suggesting such an option!"

"We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her! "exclaimed Rose.