The Empty Child

Several months had passed since the incident with the Reapers. For about a month, I was in a sort of mourning, more like a depression. I ate less than usual, I didn't make sarcastic or humorous remarks or references to pop culture. I even ended up worrying Rose! The Doctor ended up taking things into his hands and took me to a heavenly planet that glowed like a blue firefly at night. He had asked me for an explanation, or he would take me back. After discussing how I felt, how I was going to live with this weight on my conscience, everything is back to before. I was again the small red"haired girl who liked to comment, criticize the Doctor's conduct by reminding him that he had a driving manual, who loved sweet black tea and chocolate. I was again the girl I was before but I had this sadness in my eyes, a kind of shadow that anyone who had a great sorrow possessed. The Doctor had that shadow in his eyes, but mine wasn't so pronounced.

During these last few months, we ran for our lives many times, visited alien markets, explored planets and whole systems across time and space. I even met important human figures: JRR Tolkien, JK Rowling, Pythagoras, Hippocrates ... and it is in some ways thanks to me that the oath of Hippocrates exists, though I didn't study to become a doctor. What was funny was that the Doctor also took the oath, but since the very first oath was like the promise he made by taking his name, I do not think it changed much.

I say several months, but in fact I completely lost the notion of time. All I know is that a lot of time had passed because of my hair. I, who had previously a pixie cut, had my hair now come down to the middle of the neck. I had to wear a rubber band on my wrist, because sometimes I would feel my hair tickle my neck. It would absolutely be necessary for me to go to the hairdresser when we head back to see Jackie and Mickey.

I tugged on a lock of hair with my fingers, watching the length in the mirror of my bathroom. My hair, though still slightly damp, waved slightly and I loved it (if I had to compare my cut with that of an actress, it would be the cut of Jodie Whittaker as thirteenth Doctor but a little more wavy and red). On one side, I had silver"colored hair that contrasted. I always joked that it was my Targaryen side coming out. Speaking of Targaryen, I'd seen the last two seasons of Game of Thrones, too. I loved the end and I still wonder if it is similar to that of my old world.

After studying my reflection in the mirror, satisfied with my cut, I went to my dressing room. I studied my clothes for a few minutes, wanting to have a style a little different from usual. I took a navy blue long sleeve shirt and a slim pair of leggings that were embroidered on the front and the side of the thighs. The embroidery was red cherry blossoms and a fox made in a Japanese style. I had slipped on my pair of red Converse that were well worn—the white of the rubber had turned almost beige and had black traces and dust. The soles were almost smooth and the fabric was a little dirty but the red was always bright. I decided to put on a little makeup, putting on eyeliner and very little mascara.

I barely had time to put my mascara on my desk when a violent tremor made me collapse on the ground. I ran for my coat and phone, and then ran out of my room—sprinting to the console where the Doctor and Rose were. The Doctor was driving the Tardis while Rose was circling the console, trying to hold on to something. I threw my coat to one of the coral pillars and joined them.

"Why is the TARDIS shaken in all directions as if it were a salt shaker?" I exclaimed. "Is there a problem? Nah, in fact there is definitely a problem, what is the emergency?"

"Something hit the TARDIS," Rose said after being taken aback from a shock.

"The TARDIS detected it on a mauve alert," the Doctor explained.

"Mauve?"

"Colour universally recognized for the danger," I replied with a big smile.

Oh, how I was looking forward to this adventure! Not necessarily for the gas mask kid who was looking for his mom calling with the most creepy voice possible, but more for Captain Jack Harkness. The only "fictitious" American captain I find fuckable. There's Steve Rogers too, but meh ... a little too pure and patriotic for me. Besides, Jack looks like a Disney prince who sleeps with other Disney prince.