019

september 25th, 2020
1:18 pm

SUNDAY LIFTED A PAINTBRUSH that was covered in yellow paint, to the blank canvas

Maya was sitting on a desk chair, posing for Sunday, "How long do I have to sit like this? My ass is starting to hurt."

"You're the one who wanted to do it old school. You could've just sent a picture." Brandon chimed in from where he was laying on top of Sunday's duvet.

Next to him was his laptop playing the next movie they needed to see for their film class, the very first King Kong from the 1930's.

Sunday nodded in agreement but continued to paint.

"Ugh, you know what?" Maya stood making Sunday stop.

"What are you doing?" Sunday asked.

"My ass hurts!" Maya complained.

Sunday chuckled and the people inside the room grew to a slow comfortable silence.

That was until Brandon's phone rang.

Sunday kept her eyes on the canvas as Brandon answered the phone, his long finger tapping the space bar to pause the movie.

"Yo? Nikki?" Brandon got off of the bed, slid his bare feet into his Nike slides then went into the hallway, the phone now pressed to his ear.

Once the door had closed, Maya whipped her head around to Sunday, "Nikki? Who's Nikki?"

"That's BJ's ex." Sunday replied in a meek tone.

"He still talks to his ex girlfriend?" Maya glanced at the closed dorm door, "That doesn't bother you?"

Sunday tucked her bottom lip into her mouth for a second, "I mean... Why would it? We're not together. He can do what he wants... For the most part."

"For the most part? What does that mean?" Maya pressed.

Sunday shook her head then tucked a loose piece of hair from her wig between her fingers, "Nothing. Just nothing."

Maya made a face, "Okay. Do you know anything about this girl?"

"Other that she's from California? No." Sunday sighed as blue paint speckled onto the back of her left hand.

"You haven't looked her up? You don't know what she looks like?" Maya's voice was surprised, "You're not curious? At all?"