026

october 7th, 2020
5:23 pm

BRANDON WAS LAYING DOWN ON HIS BED, throwing up a multicolored stress ball towards the ceiling

Nikki was still sitting on the couch, typing something on her phone.

Brandon's own phone was laying on the nightstand nearby, catching both people's attention when it began to ring.

Without looking at the caller id, Brandon answered it, "Hello?"

"Hey, B.J. When did you wanna watch that movie because you know the paper on it is due Friday night so..." Sunday's voice was timid.

Brandon glanced over to Nikki then back at the ceiling, "Is your dorm empty?"

"Yeah," Sunday paused, "Are you... Um, are you coming alone?"

Brandon let out a chuckle at how sly Sunday was trying to be and failing at asking if he was gonna bring Nikki with him.

"Yeah, it's just me. Give me twenty minutes, okay?" Brandon replied then hung the phone up and slid his legs over the side of his bed.

"You going somewhere?" Nikki asked, looking up from her cell phone.

"Yeah, I have to go do this assignment with Sunny." He responded.

Nikki popped her tongue against her two front teeth, "Right."

"You know you can't stay on my couch forever right? You have to go back to L.A sometime." Brandon said as he slipped on a plain white shirt.

"I can't. My mom kicked me out, I have nowhere to go. You know that." Nikki exclaimed.

"I understand that but if my RA or my coach finds out you're here I could be kicked off the team. Company isn't supposed to stay for longer than twenty fours hours and you've been here for four days."

Nikki gave Brandon a hard stare, "Is this about that girl?"

"What? This isn't about her." Brandon said in disbelief, "This is about you."

"I knew it. I didn't wanna believe it but when Kylah told me about the dinner... You've moved on, huh?" Nikki stood up from the couch and crossed her arms against her gray crop top covered torso.

"That's none of your business and stop talking to Ky. Like what are you talking to my family for? You literally have no reason to." Brandon shook his head and then looked over to his ex girlfriend again, "You should go back to Los Angeles."

"You're not listening to me, B.J. I can't."

Brandon slid his feet into some low top Vans and then let out a tired sigh, "You can't stay here anymore either, Nikki. You just can't."

"Can't you just give me some more time?" Nikki pleaded.

Brandon looked down at his cell phone screen to check the time, "I gotta go. Her dorm is all the way across campus. Just... Stay here for now, I guess. But this is the last night."

Then Brandon slipped out into the hallway and closed the door behind him.

There was a cool breeze outside that made Brandon wish that he had brought a jacket with him as he traveled across campus to Sunday's dorm.

Her dorm was always more quiet than Brandon's which made it easy for him to slip in and out of the building.

Before he knew it, Brandon was in front of her door.

"God, wasn't I just doing this?" Brandon asked himself then tapped his index finger against the door.

Sunday opened it after only a few seconds, dressed in a graphic t-shirt and leggings.

"Hey."

Brandon stepped into the room, "Is your laptop ready?"

"Well, yeah but I was hoping we could talk since we couldn't do it yesterday."

Brandon gave Sunday a confused look, "We could've yesterday but you didn't want to."

"I didn't want to say it in front of your..." Sunday paused, clearly trying to find the right word, "Friend. Anyway, I just wanted to finally say that I'm sorry for not responding. I had to go home and I just needed some space after that dinner."

Brandon simply stared at Sunday, "That could've fit in a one lined text. It would've taken literally twenty seconds."

Sunday shook her head and then readjusted her glasses, "A lot was going on and I needed some space."

Brandon examined her more thoroughly at hearing her tone become anxious, "Like what?"

Sunday studied the floor for a couple seconds, "It doesn't matter now. Besides even if I did text you, you were clearly busy."

The side of Brandon's lips quirked up at the jealousy, "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Your friend's still in town, right? Weren't you... Um, doing things with her?" Sunday asked in a quiet tone.

Brandon laughed a little as he gently pushed Sunday by her shoulders to sit down on her bed, "Sunny, what are you trying to ask me?"

"I'm not asking you anything. I was just saying that you were busy this weekend with Nikki, right?"

Brandon had to bite back his wide grin, "Sunny... Ma... Me and Nikki, didn't do anything that you would need to be jealous of."

Sunday let out a boisterous scoff, "Jealous? Who said that I was jealous? Me and you," Brandon stepped closer and she faltered in her sentence, "We're just friends. You can do what you want and I can do what I want. But if you and her did do something sexual, you have to know that means that we can't do anything anymore."

Brandon scoffed, "Who said that?"

"We both did. Remember the rules?"

Brandon stepped a little closer and Sunday's eyes flickered to the open laptop beside her then back to where Brandon was inching to where she was sitting on the bed.

"It's a good thing that me and her didn't have sex then," Brandon slid one hand around the back of her neck and forced Sunday to look up at him.

"Does this mean you forgive me?" Sunday asked.

Brandon licked his bottom lip a little, "Ma... Go lock the door."

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!