036

november 1st, 2020
7:26 pm

THIS DOUBLE DATE WAS SUCH A MISTAKE, Brandon thought to himself, looking around the crowded Red Lobster

The two boys were sitting on either side of a booth waiting for their dates near the entrance of the restaurant.

Brandon heaved a sigh, "I still don't know about this, bro. I might head out."

Cam'ron sent him a sharp look, "I already told her and her friend that you would be coming. How's it gonna look if you bail?"

Brandon blinked, "That I bailed. Duh."

"Bruh, please. C'm-. They're here." Cam'ron nodded to the hostess stand.

Brandon turned his head to survey a biracial girl with blonde highlights who was standing next to a shorter girl with red hair.

"Why did I agree to this?" Brandon muttered to himself as the biracial girl gazed in the boys' direction, said something to her friend and then the two started to walk over to them.

Cam'ron smiled at the biracial girl who smiled back before sliding onto his side of the booth, "B.J, this is Zoey and Rebecca."

The redheaded girl hispanic girl, Rebecca, narrowed her eyes at the sight of Brandon, "This is the friend?"

Brandon raised an eyebrow at her tone and Rebecca continued, "It's just I've seen you around campus sometimes and I thought you had a girlfriend."

Brandon had to force his face not to contort into a wince at the indirect mention of Sunday, "Uh, no. I don't."

Her eyes stayed narrowed but she slid into the booth beside Brandon, "Okay."

Brandon started to tap his fingers against the plastic menu on the table in front of him.

The server, a teenaged Asian boy, came up to the table and put a parchment paper lined basket of the famous cheddar biscuits down, "Hi, my name is Sam and today I'll be your server. Can I get you folks started with something to drink?"

The four said their drink orders and the server nodded as he wrote them down and then walked away.

Brandon leaned all the way back into the cushioned back part, wishing that he was anywhere but here.

"So, you're on the basketball team too, right?" Zoey asked.

Brandon nodded, not having enough energy to feign interest in the conversation that she was trying to start.