Chapter 41

"Wait, what? Are you for sure?" Rudy asked, "I didn't expect this to work. Who is it?"

I took a step back, needing to sit down at the table. I thought through all the messages that I had received and how it was all so hurtful.

"Ro? You okay?" Rudy asked coming into my vision where I had been staring off. I blinked a few times coming back to reality, "Who is it?"

"It's my ex," I breathed.

"What? Your ex?" He asked running his hands through his hair, "You mean the most recent one?"

"Yeah," I nodded, "My only ex."

"How do you know for sure?" He asked.

I took the phone from his hand and pointed out the email, "The first letter is a Z. His name is Zack. And the digits shown are 0105. That's his birthday, January 5th. The last digits are his phone number I'm pretty positive, which I still have the number saved so I could go check."

"What the actual fuck?" Rudy shouted as I saw his face turn red with anger, "Who the fuck does that? I mean, I've had my fair share of ex's, but I'd never say anything like this to them. This is fucked up."

I got up quickly and grabbed Rudy's shoulders, "Calm down, we figured out who it was. We now gotta make our next plan."

"How are you so calm about this? I'd be furious, I am furious. I'll call up this dude right now and tell him how I really feel," he said as I tried to calm him down.

"It's okay, there's not much we can do. We know it's him now, so we can call him out. I just need you to chill out," I said softly. My phone rang and Rudy reached for it quickly but I held it back to look, "It's Chase. He's gonna be home in an hour or so."

"Good, we gotta tell him everything," he shot back.

"No, we can't tell him. This gives me all the more reason that I shouldn't tell him. I'm not going to bring Chase into my ex issues," I answered.

"Ro, you gotta tell him. Whoever this Zack guy is, he's fucked up. He shouldn't be saying shit like that to you," Rudy yelled.

"I know, I know. We will figure out our next step and then we can tell him. I don't want him to worry about it just yet. Plus he'll act just like you are and I don't need to talk down two tasmanian devils," I responded.

"You promise you'll tell him?" Rudy asked as he started to calm down.

"I will. I just need some time to figure out how to tell him and what to tell my ex," I sighed.

Rudy made his way into the kitchen and I went over to the counter to watch him cook for a bit before I'd start making the pie.

"How can one person be so cruel? Like some of the stuff he was sending you was so fucked up. He was literally threatening you," Rudy stated and I nodded, "What did you ever see in that guy?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. He was the only guy that ever gave me a chance in college. I was never really into the frat type guy, but I had thought he was different."

"Oh, of course he's a frat boy," Rudy rolled his eyes.

"We met freshman year in one of the gen ed classes," I told him, "He invited me to one of the frat formals and we had been together since then. I thought it was all perfect but looking back on it, it was so toxic. He never really supported my degree in theatre. He always kinda picked fun at it. But I thought I was with my forever person. Sorry, this is weird talking about it now that I'm with Chase and you didn't know me then."

"It's okay, if you want to talk about it you can," he encouraged.

"Okay. But yeah, I mean we did everything together. Since we met freshman year, I never really made friends with anyone besides his friends. So that's why I never really talk about friends from home," I explained, "They weren't all that good either, so realizing now how blind I was is really crazy."