Chapter 51

Part 2

"Have a great day!" Mom called after me as I gather my stuff to head out the door.

"Thanks, see you tonight," I responded before shutting the door behind me. I checked to make sure I had my backpack with all my belongings in it and my duffle. It was rainy and cold out. I put up my hood and rushed out to my car. I threw everything into the passenger seat and got the heat going quickly. The radio played music softly in the background and I pulled out of the driveway and made my way to the dock.

My commute was somewhat long over to New York, but with the ferry service it wasn't too bad. Only when the ferry service was down and I had to drive into the city was it terrible. I parked in the lot and made my way over to get checked in with the ticket booth. It was about a twenty minute ride then I just had to hop on the subway to get to work. I was currently in rehearsals for West Side Story. Though one, it was on the complete opposite end of the city from Broadway, and two I only had small part in the show as Velma and a part of the ensemble. It was better than nothing though, I had been able to get myself an agent which definitely helped with putting myself out there and trying to get more gigs.

I made it onto the ferry and I closed my umbrella finding a seat in the somewhat packed boat. I didn't need to be to rehearsals until 8am but with the commute I always had to leave two and half hours ahead of time. The ferry left right on time and I looked out the window at the dark clouds above. The city's lights reflected off the fog in the distance as we made our way across the river.

I had rehearsals until 7pm tonight. It would sometimes go later depending on what we needed to work on. The show was going to be opening the end of next week and we were perfecting every last detail before then. It was fun but obviously I wished I could be doing more than just being apart of an ensemble, but like I had said it was still better than nothing.

The ferry arrived at the dock, and I, along with all the other commuters rushed out into the rain to get where we needed to go. I opened my umbrella and made my way through the park that was along the outer skirts of the city. It was about a fifteen minute walk to the closest subway. Once I had made it underground, I rushed through the turnstile as I heard the subway coming. There were other people rushing down the steps trying to make it in time and I nearly fell from tripping over my wet boots. I made it just as the subway pulled into the station and I crammed my way into the subway car.

I breathed a sigh of relief while also catching my breath and holding on tightly to the railing beside me so that I wouldn't fall when the subway moved. It was another thirty minute ride or more to my stop. The commute was long, but I needed to keep pushing through so that I could make my way up and become more noticeable.

The subway slowly became less crowded as we made our way to the other side of the city. I was even able to get a seat for the last few stops. Once we had made it, I hurried out and walked the last ten minutes of my commute making it just in time to the theater.

"Good morning," Jenna called from the check in table as I walked in the front door. She was the assistant stage manager who checked everyone in.

"Good morning," I smiled signing my name in, "How are you?"

"I'd be better if this rain could clear up," she sighed, "Especially before next week."

"Definitely," I agreed before making my way to the dressing room. There I found the rest of the ensemble getting ready for the day and putting on their rehearsal clothes. To start off the day, they were doing a run through of the first part of the show and then we had some last minute costume fittings to make sure we were all set.