Safe Ride Home

Chapter 6

Cali Woods

The cold air felt like a slap to my face as I slowly began walking back inside the house. Cody had gathered his things and left without another look in my direction.

There was multiple reasons why I didn't like being set up with Lily's friends. Their either street rats or looking for a nice hookup. They see Lily and think she's got hot friends also because of her style and spunk, then are disappointed when they find out I'm an average shaped teen with long brown hair that has no bounce to it. And they always seem to evacuate when they find out I'm going to college to get a doctorate in vet science and not fashion marketing.

But, it's not like it brings me down anyways. I always tell myself there's a totally better man out there who wants me for me and he's more than likely not one of Lily's boyfriend's friend. Yet, however, I always find myself eager to meet a new one that she talks about.

The house smells of throw up and beer as I walk in. I have to sidestep a couple making out next to the door and nearly trip on my own heels. Few people had left but just enough to where you could actually see the floor. The DJ had on a slow song and a few people where dancing together. I nearly busted out laughing when I saw a big guy, obviously a football player, crying on his friends shoulder with a beer cup in his hand. The song must've hit an emotional string.

I had the sudden urge to grab someone, someone big and strong and let them hold me all night as we danced to the music. I had someone perfect in mind but wouldn't admit it.

I stared at a girl walking around catering tequila. A shot of strong whiskey really did sound nice, especially if it would get all these thoughts out of my head.

I grabbed the clear liquid quickly while the girl walked past. She didn't give me a second glance so I figured they didn't cost anything. I tossed back the alcohol quickly, my throat burning all the way down. I placed the shot glass on a nearby table and made my way towards the dance floor, ready to dance my thoughts away.

As soon as my heels touched the lit up dance floor, made from pushed back furniture and spotlights, the slow song ended and a base drop song came on. Vibrating the floors and causing people to cheer for the new energy. People surrounded me from all sides, some couples dirty dancing, and some lone rangers moving their hips. I, for one, was one of those long rangers but I was going to make one hell of a night with it.

My hips swayed to the music as sweaty bodies bumped into me, knocking me into another dance on a different spot. I closed my eyes as the one shot of tequila kicked in, I have always been a light drinker. I pair of hands gripped my waist as I twirled and bounced. The grip felt a little overpowering but comforting. It held me in place as our bodies molded together and we danced together. The feeling was of pure bliss.

My heart rate picked up as reality hit me-I was drunk and grinding on a stranger. I twirled around, throwing the mans hands off of me. I felt a little dizzy from the sudden movement but quickly regained composure and stuck my palm out on the mans chest, pushing him back. His chest felt like stone underneath my small hand and the guy didn't move, yet took a step closer. The man gripped my wrist lightly, "Ciao bella." The mans strong, husky voice said.

My eyes shot up to the familiar voice, connecting my eyes with his hazel ones. My heart skipped a beat as I took in his features. His face looked more tan and he had a fading bruise lining his chiseled jaw. His face was more tense than what I remembered from our run in at the bakery and his hair was unkept.

He was dressed in a black dress shirt and dark jeans, that shaped his muscular legs. And I couldn't keep my eyes from trailing down his torso, taking in his well built figure. Trailing my eyes back up to his face I found my gaze returning to his bruised jaw.

Dante was smirking at me, a dangerous spark in his eyes. I felt myself tremble under his hot gaze, "Dante?"

"The one and only." He said, releasing his grip from my wrist.

"I wouldn't imagine you to be the frat party type." I joked, rubbing my sweaty palms on my short dress.

Dante raised an eyebrow, "My type? What exactly would be my type?"

I blushed and tucked a loose strand of hair from my face and behind my ear, "I didn't mean anything bad by it. It's just you look like-" I looked at his bruised jaw, red eyes, and messy hair, "Like you'd be too busy for a little college party."

Dante smirked, the dangerous glint back in his eyes, "Maybe I'm here for a special reason."

I laughed nervously and began fanning myself, "It's really hot and I'm really tired, I should be getting home."

Dante grabbed my forearm as I turned to walk away, "Let me walk you out."

My eyes trailed from his fiery touch on my arm up to his eyes, they held genuine concern, "Sure."

Dante released my arm and motioned me towards the door, sadly I would have to push through a lot of people to get there.

My legs began to shake as I walked in front of Dante, I literally could feel his hazel eyes checking out my backside-and it didn't help that my dress kept rising up due to me stepping over passed out people.

Someone bumped into me causing me to stumble in my heels. Dante's strong grip returned back to my waist, his touch felt almost familiar now. His warm breath was at my ear, "I won't let you fall," he chuckled, "I promise."

I shivered and set myself up straight, continuing my way towards the crowd, Dante's hand leading me.

It felt like a century until we finally both-well me- stumbled out of the house and onto the porch. Dante's warm laughter followed, "You really need to lose those heels, I don't want you twisting an ankle."

I smile a little and laughed at the irony, "My friends made me come to this thing-trying to set me up with some guy. I'd rather be home right now asleep," I looked down at my phone, "It's one am! Oh my, I have a big test coming up!"

Dante chuckled as he grabbed my hand and helped me step down the stairs, dodging trash and misplaced shoes, "I'm guessing nine's your bed time."

I jerked my hand from his strong grip and feigned hurt, "For your information, amico. I'll have you know my bed time is at nine o' five."

Dante's contagious laughter filled my ears. He turned towards me, "I didn't know you had a comedic side."

"Runs in the family."

"Amico? Io non sapevo che parlava Italiano." His eyes held humor as he placed his hand back on my waist and led me towards the road.

"Huh?" I asked, trying to not pass out from his addicting touch.

"I didn't know you spoke Italian."

I blushed then, "I don't. I pick up things every once in a while. It is a pretty big college, people from all over attend,"I found myself leaning into his touch and liking the way that we kept conversation, "Plus, my only friend in my junior year of high school was a foreign exchange student from Italy, she taught me some things."

Dante's face turned from a smirk to a grimace but he quickly replaced it with a straight face, "Us Italian people can show someone a good time, huh?"

I smiled and nearly broke into tears at the thought of my only friend who was probably off in Italy being a famous photographer. Dante seemed to notice my distress and changed the topic.

"So where are you parked?"

I laughed nervously and fidgeted with my phone that was in my hands, "My friends actually drove me but I'm pretty sure they all ditched about an hour ago."

Dante smirked, "Then this gives me a perfect chance to take a pretty girl home."

I blushed as he changed our direction and lead us down a sidewalk. I felt a little jittery at the sound of his invitation but also some red flags.

Should I trust a guy that already has me obsessed with just the thought of him? Or would I be getting myself into a party I shouldn't be invited to?

+