The Rage After The Storm

Chapter 28

Dante Valentino

My heart dropped as I heard Cali and numerous girls in the room scream. I sprinted towards Cali, pushing bystanders out of the way. If she had been shot I would kill every last person who was involved.

I spotted Lily's tall figure first in the crowd, her hand was over her mouth in horror.

My stomach dropped and I felt myself grow sick.

I pushed the last person out of the way, my eyes meeting Cali. She was kneeling on the ground, covering her ears. I ran to her side and grabbed a hold of her, inspecting her body.

After finding no blood I relaxed a bit, before returning to high alert and gathering her in my arms. Daniel was by my side in an instant, helping me gather Cali's dress.

Her eyes were wide and full of fear as she looked away from me, her eyes were locked on someone across the room.

I followed her gaze towards my father who held a man at gunpoint, another man lying lifeless in front of my him. I covered Cali's eyes and thanked Daniel, running out of the room and to my hotel room.

Of course, my father had to bring his business here. It was only bad luck that Cali witnessed it.

I ditched the elevator and ran up the stairs, too caught up on getting Cali to our room and ease her mind. I knew her anxiety was getting the best of her.

Blake was standing in front of our room, his eyes widening when he noticed Cali. He quickly opened the door and let us in.

I sat Cali on the bed and loosened her dress, bringing down the zipper in the back. Cali began to breath at a normal pace as I loosened her dress.

"What the hell happened?" Blake asked.

"Roy shot a man and I'm pretty positive Cali was the only one that witnessed it." I said, handing Blake Cali's shoes. He threw it into the open closet and stood alert, "I'll go downstairs and see what's up. Want me to come up later and tell you what I find out?"

I nodded my head, "I'll find you tomorrow."

Blake nodded his head as he backed out of the room and locked it behind him.

The first sound out of Cali's mouth that I heard was a sob.

Tears streamed down her face as her body shook. I sat her up and held her tightly to my chest. Her arms clutched my suit, relaxing me. All I wanted was a reaction from her.

I clutched her hair tightly, "Tell me what you saw."

Cali leaned back so I could see her face, I knew she was trying to stay strong for me. Yet I was the one slowly falling apart because of her distress.

"Y-your father s-shot a man. I saw...blood and then t-the guy fall." She whimpered.

I clenched my teeth together. I scolded myself for falling too hard for her, and now she already saw what was a snippet of my everyday life.

I placed a soft kiss on her forehead, something my mother did whenever I was scared.

A cold sweat trickled down my face as I tore her dress off for her. Although I knew she didn't get shot I still couldn't help myself to not check her. I was scared for her. Which was odd for me, I had only cared about myself for years and then she showed up, catching me at my most vulnerable time.

When I first laid eyes on her I was searching for a man that owed us many things. He had fucked with our system and broke our loyalty; something you don't do to a powerful family. I had spotted him checking out Cali's best friend. I knew I had time, the guy was a dumbass, so I watched Cali as she walked, thinking there were no eyes on her. Oh, how she was wrong.

The guy turned a corner so I made my move and left my alleyway, walking towards him, watching Cali again. I remember scolding myself for being so infatuated with her, her innocence had caught my attention. But, I knew she couldn't handle me: I'd be too much of a danger to her perfect life. Or so I thought at the time: she was broken, and I wanted to fix her. In hope of fixing myself.

"Do you want me to tell you what happened?"

Cali shook her head and pressed her face back against my chest, "Not now."

I nodded my head in understanding and grabbed a shirt from the closet, pulling it over her head, "I'm gonna go back down there and see what's happening, stay here."

Cali grabbed my hand with her fragile one and tugged, bringing me back down on the bed, "Don't get hurt." She whispered.

I have her a soft kiss of reassurance and left the room, making sure she was comfortable in the bed.

This night had went down hill very fast.

~

"What the hell was that?" I asked Roy who was watching his men drag away the bodies.

Roy simply shrugged and took a drag of his cigar, "Broke the code, so they're out."

My jaw ticked with anger, "So you kill them at the yearly party? In front of Calista, might I add!"

Roy watched me as my chest heaved with anger. He had noticed something.

"Shooting someone in front of Calista should be the least of your worries."

I stayed silent, not giving him a chance to tease or tell me how much of a disgrace I am.

"She's came too far with you. Your mission was to find out information on the girls father, not fall in love!"

"I'm not in love." I defended.

"I hope not," my father spat, "You saw how far it brought me and your mother."

I was up in his face now, ticking with anger. I held him by his collar as I slammed him against the wall, "You know very well that was because of your greed."

My father pushed me off of him, "You know very well to not grab me like that," He took a drunken swing at my face, easily catching it I threw his arm back down by his side, "Maybe Calista would know what love is. Better than your mother, eh?"

My vision became red as I lunged at my father and knocked him to the ground. Even though each punch landed successfully to his face I couldn't help myself to stop. All the built in anger flooded from me.

Hands grabbed my shoulders and brought me off my father. My face was wet with tears as I looked up at Daniel. He held my shoulder and helped me to my feet. My father sputtered up blood and turned on his side.

A wicked smile reached his face, "That girl is your weakness, son. Just like your mother was for me."

I prepared to lunge for him again but Daniel gripped my shoulder and brought me back, "Blake said Cali's asking for you. Go, I'll clean this up."

I stared at my father who was wheezing on the floor as Daniel spoke, the only thing I heard was Cali needing me. I gave a curt nod and turned on my heel, rolling up my sleeves and heading out.

This would not be the last encounter, I was sure.

+