Men

Chapter 22

Cali Woods

I laid in my bed that night, replaying the events that happened earlier. Jace has always acted like that around me, but I could never tell if he actually liked me enough to date. We had grown up together-it's like we were bound to marry eachother. Well, are mothers wanted to believe that.

It made me sad to see Kathy still stuck to Jace's hip. She had always been the bully I talked to Jace about, I was just too scared to tell him her name.

"Cali? Why are you crying?" Jace asked as he shoveled out the horses stalls.

I sniffled and wiped under my eyes, not wanting to smear my makeup and make myself look worse, "Nothing. She just called me some names. I'm okay though."

Jace laid the shovel against the barn walls and made his way towards me, wiping his dirty hands on his jeans, "What'd she call you?"

I shrugged, "Stuff I'd rather not repeat." I took a seat on top of a barrel of hay.

Jace took a seat next to me and wiped his dark hair off of his forehead. A sheen of sweat was evident and made his face look like it was glowing, "Are you going to tell me who she is?"

I shook my head, how could I tell him that his girlfriend of three years was the one bullying me and making me want to leave home so bad?

The other day I had gotten a letter in the mail asking me to visit Ohio State's campus. I was to leave in a couple of days with my mom to spend a day over there. I wasn't planning on telling Jace, knowing he'd make me feel guilty about it even if he was encouraging me.

"You know, if you told me who she was I could make it stop-no matter who it is. You're my girl Cali," he nudged my shoulder, "I've protected you from day one and I'll protect you till my last day."

I smiled weakly, only if he knew how much his words affected me.

"Whatever you say."

I curled myself up in my bed, inviting the warmth. My phone lying on the bedside table ringed, making me groan.

I turned over and grabbed it, "Hello?"

"Jesus, Cali! Where have you been?" A familiar voice came.

I yawned and stretched my phone out, looking at the caller I.D.

"Cody?" I asked, leaning up against my headboard.

Cody sighed angrily in the phone, "I've been by your house a hundred times in the past two days and you haven't been home. Where are you?"

I gulped, I hadn't given him my number-have I?

"My grandmother died and I went back home for her funeral." I whispered, trying not to talk too loud and wake my mother. I decided to leave out the part that I was here in Georgia.

There was silence on the other end for a while until he finally spoke up, regret evident in his voice, "I'm sorry, Cali. I just got scared that something happened to you."

I frowned, seriously? How much bull-shit could he play on, "Well I'm fine, thanks got the concern," I looked over at the clock, "It's late, Cody. The funerals tomorrow and I need sleep. Goodnight."

Before he could reply I ended the call and let the phone drop on my lap. Why was he worrying so much about me, it seemed like Dante was acting the same way too but I couldn't help but contrast the two's attitude. Dante had been calm when he called me, he was more worried about my safety and not so much my location like Cody. He hasn't went on a rampage and stalked around for me.

I grabbed my phone and decided to call Dante-knowing he'd want to hear about this.

"Hello?" His voice was husky, causing me to shiver.

"Dante, it's Cali." I said, biting my lip for his next response.

I heard shuffling in the back ground then a pause, "It's one am, piccolo. Are you okay?"

"Yes, did I wake you?"

"No," Dante lied, "What's going on?"

I sighed a little and laid back on my bed, getting comfortable under the sheets, "Cody called me."

Dante's mood change could be practically heard from the other end, "What'd he say?"

"That he's been by my house at least a hundred times in the past two days."

Dante chuckled on the other end, "Creepy little shit, huh?"

"Should I be worried?" I asked, nibbling on my bottom lip nervously.

"Nah, babe. Just sounds like he's got mommy issues." Dante joked.

My heart leapt at the name. My cheeks flushed red as I found myself liking this mysterious man even more, "I thought you'd like to know."

"I did. Thank you." Dante's voice returned husky after he yawned.

"I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Alright, don't keep me waiting this late. Did you even see my message?"

I groaned at myself, how could I forget he had texted.

You were drooling over Jace.

"I was busy and forgot to open it, I'll look at it now."

"Alright, amare. Goodnight."

"Goodnight." I whispered, ending the call.

I opened his message from earlier and smiled,

Dante: Stuck with two love birds at the same hotel. Didn't know Daniel was here on honeymoon.

I placed my phone on the bedside table and buried myself back in my blankets.

Italian men, gang leaders, and old friends on my mind.

+