Relief

Chapter 39

Dante Valentino

The smell of blood reaches my nose as I stand outside of Cody's cell, he was trying to kill himself, but I wouldn't let that happen.

I open the door loudly, making myself known and walk towards Cody, a blade in his hand, repeatedly stabbing himself, "Trying to bleed out? I thought I should tell you you're doing it wrong, might want to hit a more major artery like the neck...or heart."

Cody sneers at me, pointing the knife at me, "You know damn well why I'm not doing that."

I did know, in fact I wanted to rub it in his face, "You're too much of a coward to take your own life."

Cody threw the knife on the floor, his blood splattering on the wall and hitting my feet, I'd definitely have to clean those before Cali saw, "Like you could do it when the time came-you wouldn't leave Cali alone."

I narrowed my eyes at him, trying to find hidden meaning in his words, "If it was up to me I wouldn't be so careless with my mission and get caught. But, if it was to protect Cali of course I would do it. I'd stab myself in the heart before I could think."

Cody laughs menacingly and kicks the knife closer to me, "Why don't you do it then, huh? Stab me through the heart!"

His eyes were wide and frightened, that of a child learning that Santa wasn't real and it was his parents all along, "You mean nothing to me, Adami. Why would I kill you? You've done nothing but make my life a living hell, going after the only person I love wasn't smart and now you're here to suffer for it. I don't kill for fun, I kill for a purpose and you're not worth it, I'm not going to have another soul on my killed and done list."

I kicked the knife back to him, urging him to just get it over with. It wouldn't be easy, and I didn't come here to make him do it. I wanted closure before I went home to Cali, "What'd Woods do to your father?"

Cody shrugs his shoulders, picking the knife back up and playing with the tip, drops of blood hit the floor from where he was cutting himself. His father had obviously not trained him well with battle equipment, "I guess you'll never know." He whispers, plunging the knife into his heart.

~

Cali Woods

I stand, wrapping the fuzzy, brown towel around my now shivering body. A cold dread passes through my body, a sense of relief, yet I felt guilty. Dante had told me he kidnapped me due to his father threatening him.

I cover my mouth, feeling a little shaky, he had tried to take me with bad intentions yet at the moment I couldn't think of one bad thing he did. Only the careless boy who showed up late on double dates and didn't walk women to their car at night. That's how I saw him, a lost boy.

Dante grabs me as I fall into him, every emotion being held the past few months falling from my facade. Anger, fear, hate, love all released my body and let me feel what I've wanted to feel ever since my father made me kill that man; relief.

"How-" I was cut off by a door opening into the back yard.

"Let's go, we have things to discuss and this pregnant lady is not patient."

I watch as she disappears into the kitchen, Dante still holding onto my waist, "She didn't have to remind us."

I smile and turn to face him, grabbing a hold of his face, lying my forehead against his, "Does this mean you're finally staying at home?"

Dante bites his lip, tucking his lip ring in his mouth, I had missed the damn thing so much I couldn't contain myself any longer.

I pull him close, connecting our lips in a moment of heat that was much needed for the both of us. His hands travel down to the bottom of the towel where he grabs my butt and squeezes, an incoherent sound making its way out of my mouth. I grab his tie, pulling him impossibly closer. Needing this fire, this passion to keep me on my toes. We hadn't had a moment so sweet like this in six months and it was killing me.

I hop up, wrapping my legs around his waist. He caught me easily, obviously not skipping any gym time. I grab his hair next, yanking, urging him to do more. I wanted him to see how much I had missed him and I wanted him to show me. Biting his lip I slowly undo his tie and throw it on the patios floor, "Dante, I've missed you so much."

He smiles, his eyes dark with lust, "Wait until to-"

"Today!"

I turn quickly, nearly losing my balance on Dante, "Give us a minute for fucks sake Lily!"

She pouts, tossing her blonde hair over her shoulder and turns back into the house, giving us a bit of privacy, but I could still feel her staring at us.

Dante's wondering hands brings me back from my fit, "She's jealous, piccolo. She's not getting any because she's pregnant."

I giggle and lie my forehead against his, and run my hand down his face gently. He closes his eyes slowly, feeling my touch, "We should go inside before she kills Daniel."

--

Lily claps her hands, "It's about freaking time. Are we going to talk about this or are you going to get pregnant?"

I frown, looking over at Dante to see a scowl on his face. He hadn't been around Lily much but had confessed to me one day that she wasn't his favorite person. He questioned why I was friends with her, but I never really second guessed our relationship. She had been my friend in a depressing time and I couldn't thank her anymore than I had. She had saved me and now that Dante was around to take that role I felt that she became jealous at times, I was just happy she had Daniel to go home to at night.

"There's not much to talk about, we haven't go much news about the attempted attack." Dante said, sitting up on one of the bar stools next to me.

Lily rolls her eyes, "Well, I'm sure out of everyone in this house Cali deserves to know why he did what he did. I mean he was obsessed with her, you should be lucky that she was too infatuated with you and no him or this wouldn't be a problem right now."

"Lily!" Daniel and I say at the same time causing her to shrug her shoulders and roll her eyes. I might have left out the part that Lily wasn't Dante's biggest fan either.

Dante's jaw ticked, a sign that he was holding back from lashing out, "Cody claimed that he came after you because his father had some old business with your father."

I crease my eyebrows in confusion, "My father? Like what?"

Dante shakes his head, "He died before I got it out of him."

I looked towards Lily who had became strangely silent. Daniel had a hand around her waist, I assume keeping her back from saying anything. This wasn't, obviously, her place to talk.

"My father had business with a lot of people when I was young but I don't remember any of the Adami family, I would've remembered him. I knew everyone my father had business with."

Dante gave me an emotionless face, not knowing what exactly to say.

I frowned and placed a hand on my forehead, "Where is my father? We have a long over due chat."

+