Home Sweet Home

Chapter 19

Dante Valentino

Was I really going to leave Cali alone?
Hell no.

Cali Woods

I placed my carry on bag above my seat in 2nd class. It felt like 3rd class though. The seats were torn and had multiple pieces of stuffing spilling out of holes. A rancid smell reached my nose as soon as my bottom hit the seat. I crinkled my face up in disgust and looked around me.

A couple was sitting too close to each other next to me, and that cliché kid, that you never think you'd have, was kicking the back of my seat. There was a teenage boy sitting next to me, by the window. He looked around nineteen-too young to be flying alone. His hair was black and he was wearing black skinny jeans with converse.

His rock music could be heard from his beats.

I laid my head back against my scratchy seat and closed my eyes-this would be a long plane ride.

Maybe I should've just taken Dante's offer.

~

"Ladies and Gentelman. Welcome to Atlanta, Georgia. You may now exit the plane at this time." The overhead intercom announced.

People jumped out of their seats, literally, and rushed to get their things. The teenage boy and I were the only ones remaining seated. He had finally taken his earphones out, they had been in his ear this entire one and a half hour.

"We're last." I mumbled raising myself out of the seat. I stood on my tip toes to grab my carry on bag.

The boy sitting beside me stood up, the top of his head only a few inches above mine. It felt odd standing next to a guy my size-I was so used to the over wheeling height of Dante, Cody, and Daniel.

Daniel. Daniel and Lily.

I quickly reached for my phone and dialed Lily's number. I had completely forgotten she was 'vacationing' here.

"Hey, girly." Her southern voice was as energetic as ever.

"Lily! I totally forgot you were on vacation." I admitted, stepping down from the stairs descending out of the planes entrance.

"Well I'm here and having the best time! The beach is so pretty." Lily gushed.

My smile dropped a little at the reminder that I wasn't here for vacation, "Lily, my granny died the other day. So I'm in Georgia for the funeral."

"What? Cali I'm so sorry. Are you in Atlanta? Do Daniel and I need to pick you up?" Lily rushed, sounding sympathetic and frantic.

"It's okay, and no. My mothers picking me up at the airport. But, I think I'm gonna take my own vacation after tomorrow. I'll only be an hour away from Atlanta." A vacation did sound very nice. A had been rushed with finals and my school year was close to ending. I wouldn't be sunbathing by the beach but I could still enjoy the tranquility.

"Okay," Lily's voice had dropped a little but she quickly covered it up, "Great! This can be a girl time we need. Away from the men, too bad Cody couldn't be here."

An image of Dante's angry face flashed through my mind and I shut my eyes, "We'll see what happens-I gotta go, see you later sunny."

"Bye Cali. Tell your family hi for me."

I ended the call and tucked it in my back pocket.

I looked around the air port lobby, searching for my mom. After about twenty minutes of not finding her I took a seat next to a sleeping older lady and grabbed my phone.