Watching

Chapter 13

Dante Valentino

I watched Cody Adami as he spoke to Cali outside of her apartment building.

I have been keeping tabs on him, trying to figure out his motives and what he intends to do with Cali.

That night I saved Cali from the two gang members was highly illegal on my part. I had killed them both, I was sure, but of course someone had to be watching and saw me. I was almost certain it was Adami and his plan on them getting her. I expected a call from Roy saying that I had men after me for the damage I caused.

I gripped my steering wheel tightly as I saw Cali smile at him. I didn't like how he had such an interest in her. I lied to Cali about the men selling woman, it is a thing they do but I doubt those were the guys intentions-they wanted her for other reasons. Wether for protection, pleasure, or bait. They'd have to hold me down with every being they had before they took Cali from me-I had left my mark on her first, so she was rightfully mine.

I watched as Cali walked into the building, but didn't go up stairs. She was watching Cody, like me.

I sat up in my seat as I noticed Cody getting a phone call, he didn't look happy when he saw the caller I.D.

I smirked when I saw Cali opening the door and putting her ear against the opening.

I grabbed my phone, using the bug I placed in Cody's phone Saturday at the restaurant. Daniel had bugged it for me while Cody was in the bathroom-proving that Cody wasn't a very smart gang member, or leader.

"You what?" Came from Cody.

A husky voice followed, "I misplaced it. I have every guy looking for them now."

"You better fix it, I'm going to a party tonight so I'll get it tomorrow. I expect nothing but excellence, pal." Cody said, ending the call.

Just the evidence I needed.

And it looked like I'd be attending a party tonight.

Cali Woods

The clock read 9:55 and I was getting jittery. Parties weren't usually my thing but I still got pumped for them.

I ran over to the mirror and looked at my reflection. My hair hung down my back in natural waves. My makeup was minimal and my clothes were casual. I wore a dressy tank top with skinny jeans and wedges. Perfect outfit for a frat party.

I grabbed my phone and placed it in my back pocket, not checking my notifications. I figured Lily had sent me a text wanting to meet up for dinner on another double date. I feel as if Lily is in over her head. I mean Daniel could be the one but leaving your friend out and staying oblivious to their feelings gets tiring after a while.

Ms. Stone was outside her door, trying to get it open-she had left her keys again.

"Would you like some help?" I asked politely, coming to her side.

She ignored me and kept jiggling her knob. I pulled a bobby pin from my hair and put it out for her, "Here, try this?"

Ms. Stone looked at it and quickly grabbed it from my hand, not thanking me.

I began walking backwards to the door, "Just give me it back whenever." I said, putting up my hands and walking out.

I opened the door, looking through the glass after it slammed shut behind me. Ms. Stone was watching me, or something behind me. Once she caught me looking at her she quickly walked into her apartment and shut the door so loudly it rattled the windows.

I looked behind me to maybe see what she was looking at but saw nothing, only the faint sound of a vehicle peeling out.

~

The massive sorority house was shaking from the music and people inside. Windows were thumping to the beat and people were dancing to the music. The party was loud over all and a couple of people were lounging around on the porch with a red cup in their hands.

I stepped out of the way when a drunken lady came barreling out of the front door, a guy with no shirt on had a tight grip on her, leading her outside.

I looked around frantically. When I said this wasn't my scene I meant exactly these kind of parties.

I hesitantly opened the door, deciding on saying 'hi' to Andy then leaving.

There were two guys at the front door positioned like guards who looked me up and down then nodded their heads, accepting me in.

I hesitantly walked past them, a cold sweat running down my back. Don't panic.

"Piccolo, if you ever need help with your anxiety, call me."

The thought of Dante alone had my nerves calm down. And the memory of him calling me 'piccolo' had me smiling a little. My fingers itched to grab my phone and call him just to hear his deep, Italian voice, but decided against it-not wanting to bother him.

Cold liquid hit my back causing me to arch forward and gasp. Someone had spilt beer on me. I pulled the wet clothing from my back and turned to look at the person. It was Jackson-the guy that ran into me on the first day of school.

He stumbled a bit and looked at me a little cross eyed, "Sorry." He slurred.

My mouth went agape as he shrugged his shoulders and continued his walk back to the kitchen, probably for more beer.

"Cali!" A deep voice called out.

A couple of faces turned to look at 'Cali' and the excitement in Andy's voice, but once they couldn't find it they turned around.

Andy jogged towards me, expertly dogging the drunken people.

"Glad you made it!" He said, shouting over the loud music.

"I'm actually leaving," I motioned to the atmosphere, "I told you this wasn't my thing."

Andy nodded and his smirked dropped a little, "Sorry, the boys went all out. Let me walk you out."

I shook my head out and stopped him with my palm against his chest, "That's okay. I'll find a way out, continue with your party!"

Andy looked at me skeptically, probably think I was a freak with my wide, fake smile. He finally nodded his head and lightly patted me on the shoulder.

He turned around and I watched his retreating back until he disappeared outside.

I was pulled out of the way of two guys who suddenly tackled each other. Warm hands that sent tingles through my body grabbed my waist and pulled me back but when I turned to see the man he was walking away, his tall, black clothed figure walking out.

The two boys began shouting and cursing, I covered my ears to block out their words. Punches were being thrown and I decided then that I had to leave. I pushed past people but it only felt like they were closing in, swallowing me up.

My ears began to ring and my vision became blurry, I was about to have an attack.

I rudely pushed people out of the way, apologizing as my legs became wobbly. The door was just right there.

My fingers wrapped around the door knob and I quickly yanked it open. The cold air hit me sharply, my face stinging from tears and the wind.

I jogged off the porch and ran near a tree, squatting down and sitting next to it. My wet back scraped against the bark of the tree and my feet dug in the grass. I placed my head between my knees and positioned my hands over my head, concentrating on my breathing.

I heard footsteps approaching but didn't care to look up-probably a lost person.

"Piccolo?"

+