Dreams

Chapter 16

Cali Woods

Dante approached me, with his long legs clad in grey sweats and his muscular torso on display. His bare feet padded against his wood floors, causing the silence of the room to seize.

His perfectly shaped beard lifted up as he smiled at me-a real genuine smile. His dark eyes glimmered from the reflection of the sun off the window glass. Or was it because he was looking at me?

"Dante-" I said a little breathless.

I felt as if I had been running but couldn't remember why. My heart was racing and beating against my rib cage, causing my breaths to come out in short pants.

He raised an eyebrow at me, now standing directly in front of me, "Why are you here?" He cupped my cheek with his large hand, causing me to sigh from the sudden comfort. His question caught me off guard and made me wonder, why did I come to him?

And then it hit me. Literally.

Cody tackled me from the side, a deadly look on his face. I let out a scream as he clawed at my arm. He already had multiple scratches running down his face from where he tried to cover my face with a black bag. I kicked out, nailing him in the shin. He hissed out in pain and released my leg, calling out someone's name then speaking a sentence in Italian. I picked up a few words, something Dante had taught me.

Girl. Kill. Were the only words I recognized.

It didn't take me a second thought to realize I was in deeper trouble than I believed.

I took of in a sprint, thankful for my long and powerful legs from years of running track.

A gun shot rang behind me causing me to dive face first in the lake water.

Dante's face held anger as I told him what happened, not believing my own words when I said Cody had done this to me. Dante gripped my face a little harder and crushed me to his chest, he soon began to drag me to his room-where I could already vision what it looked like from staying multiple nights in it.

He threw me on his bed and went to his dresser-which was off limits to me.

A long gun emerged from the dresser door. Dante held it with care yet carelessness-no doubt being used to the feeling of a gun in his hands.

He cocks the gun as he turns to look back at me, causing me to nearly jump a foot in the air and grab the hem of my oversized t-shirt. A new nervous twitch of mine.

He was at my side in an instant, placing a much smaller gun next to me. He grabbed my shaking hands and pried them open-placing the pistol in my palms, "I've taught you how to use this so I know you know what to do. If anyone comes through that door, you shoot," he paused for a second, looking me in the eyes, "Even if it's me." He whispered, his hands making their way to my face where he cupped both of my cheeks. It had became a habit of his.

I nodded my head, a tear running down my cheek, "Okay." I sobbed out. Bringing his face towards mine in a passionate kiss.

I awoke with a start. Clutching my chest and taking deep breaths.

That was one of the most confusing and scariest dreams I had ever had.

My face was pressed against my pillow, drool had made it's way from my mouth to the fabric, making a large wet spot.

I stood up in a push-up position, squinting at the sun that leaked through my large window.

People from the dorms across my street were scurrying across the road in a hurry, trying to get to their class on time. Luckily, I had a off day.

I stood from my bed, my bare legs suddenly covered in goosebumps from the cold air.

All I remember from last night was Dante's hands and the sudden heat that never left my body, one of the reasons I had just worn a t-shirt to bed.

I was regretting that decision as I ran the rest of the way to my bathroom, eager for a hot shower.

I looked in the mirror as I stripped off my shirt. I bit my lip as I studied my bed head-or had Dante did this? The thought had me blushing and running to the shower, hopefully getting clean would erase the dirty thoughts.

The steam from my shower crept into my room as I opened the door to grab some clothes.

It was still insanely cold outside so I covered myself with layers of winter clothing. Growing up in Georgia had acclimated me for the cold weather up here. I cursed my younger days where I was used to the bearing sun beating on my back and darkening my skin. Now I got wind burns instead of sun burns.

I wrapped my scarf around my neck as I opened my door and closed it, locking it as I left.

Ms. Stone was outside her apartment door, fixing her fake plants. She looked over her shoulder for a split second, her cold eyes burning through me. She looked like she was in a bad mood, although I don't know why-she had her music on pretty loud last night.

"That boy means trouble." She said, fixing her glasses.

I huffed, my thoughts drifting to Dante. What had he done after he left?

"Which one?" I joked, making my way towards the exit doors.

Ms. Stone let out a cold laugh as she turned to look at me, "Isn't that the real question."

She slammed her door shut behind her. Rattling her decorations on the outside of her door. I rolled my eyes at her as I turned to open the door.

I nearly screamed when I saw a figure dressed in black looking through the glass door at me.

Cody.

+